xxiii. 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘧𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘧𝘶𝘭𝘴

⏤ 𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨

⏤ 𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨

The streets of Ketterdam have seem to dim since Dara has taken her first couple of steps onto the familiar cobblestones paths of crookedness. The lights to not seem as nearly as bright as when they had left, the civilians have grown bigger, sulkier, desperate. She can feel such negativity radiating from their skins, brewing in the air around them, and since it was Dara with the Crows who had come back without a certain Shu Han...Dara could not help but wonder if these emotions are meant to scare them into their debts.

Nonetheless, Ketterdam was never as bright in the first places.

She knew Kaz would never say yes, but Dara wishes to take herself to a certain bakery and hope to see her one acquaintance that never looked to her as an investment to the bastard of the barrel. Maya, despite being a kind heart herself, gave Dara the greatest of smiles, ones that were never forced.

Had it really been so long?

Jesper takes a deep sigh, "home sweet home," he winks to Dara who is raising an eyebrow, "straight off the boat from Ravka and no one was waiting to kill us as soon as we arrived."

"They rather do it slowly, don't you think? It has not been too long for you to forget the ways of Ketterdam," Dara's eyebrows are up, giving Jesper a look of teasing as he only blunts a look right back at her.

Jesper sticks his tongue out at Dara, "despite Ms. Negative over here, I believe that's a good sign! Yay! I think I might celebrate with a little dice and debauchery."

"No debauchery." Quick witted Kaz is.

"Dice then?" Jesper smiles.

"No dice. We have stops to make."

Jesper's smile drops as Dara does her best to snort under her hand, Jesper already glaring at her.

"What's first? Tante Heleen?" Inej is on a mission. One that guarantees her freedom. One that Dara will move heaven and earth...and hell for.

"I'll go with," Dara nods, Inej giving her an all too knowing look.

Jesper snorts, "she'll kill her."

"Will not." Dara rolls her eyes.

"We get to the Crow Club," Kaz ignores them all. It takes only a couple of more steps in order for them to get to a familiar path of certainty. Dara is no longer the curious wonderer, it seems that the emotion has taken a pause in her head as she does not glance.

A mission once more to live as if the Fold was not enough. There are enemies in Ketterdam who would love nothing more than to see the blood of the Crows spattered and raked through all those who dared mess with Pekka Rollins.

A twinge of uncertainty crawls from Dara's fingertips, her best bet is to rub them against her pants as if that would remove the feeling, as if she dirtied them. No, she did not, at least not the form she believes. Her throat begin to clog, her shoulder's move and shift in all sides as lightly with no attention dragged onto her.