xxv. 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘬 𝘣𝘺 𝘣𝘳𝘶𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘥

⏤ 𝘬𝘢𝘻

⏤ 𝘬𝘢𝘻

It is not rest for the Bastard of the Barrel as he walks right back into the warehouse of Wylan's quarters.

"So this novice is telling me that he's our demo man," Jesper's voice is quick to echo, "Raske is better. Or even Pim."

"And yet," Kaz walks down the steps, "Wylan is the one I hired⏤"

He does not understand what necessarily happens to his breathing, and yet he knows at the very same time. For a split second any air halts from entering or exiting his lungs, Kaz is not quite sure, but after that split second he does understand that is breathing goes labored.

Kaz's eyes are stuck on the bed that he assumes Wylan has been sleeping in the past couple of weeks due to his... interesting predicament.

That is not what causes the breathing to be so difficult, it is the body laid on top of it that causes a twist in his chest, one that he has not felt for a rather long time. Dara Leovolt lays on the bed, unconscious and looking to be too pale for the gloved man.

Without any care for the onlookers, Kaz walks up to her, noticing her chest rising and falling which allows his breathing to come to normal circumstances. Nonetheless, the sight is sickening and sure to haunt him in days, perhaps years, to come. She looks to utterly pale.

"What happened?" It's strained. His voice is strained.

Jesper shifts, clearing his throat, "she passed out," he swallows, "I believe it is from exhaustion."

Kaz could hear the utter lie coming from Jesper's mouth as the bastard takes a seat right next to her body, with his gloved hands moving the hair from her face and since is not seen by neither Jesper or Wylan he allows his stone mask to crack.

His eyebrows furrow, just a tad, just a twitch.

Kaz stands, his stone right back into it's place, "you are dense."

"Excuse me?" Jesper glances around, wondering if the insult was directed at him.

Kaz then turns his head as so his brown eyes lock onto the fear of swirls in Jesper's own iris, "thinking I cannot detect a lie is too low of a blow for you to commence."

"Kaz⏤"

"What happened?"

"I do not know," Jesper states, his tone of more aggression, "she was in pain before her legs gave out and she slept."

The door opens once more before closing it, two footsteps are heard by Kaz's deduction and he only hopes Inej did not bring anyone of no use to him. Suddenly, a protective urge goes over his own body as he takes a couple of steps back as to cover Dara's sleeping posture.

He is not aware of their guests intentions.

"You're here," Kaz's voice goes unchanged despite his chest remains the same.