xxvi. 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘭𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺

⏤ 𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨

⏤ 𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨

I felt too much luck.

When Dara had once had the courage to ask Kaz Brekker as to why he always covered every inch of skin he ever owned, to her surprise, that was his answer. That he has consumed too much luck as a naïve child. Nothing more to say of the past with the caned boy, and yet it let Dara know too much than she had intended Kaz to let on.

The ones who are willing to risk the path of uncertainty and pain have especially experienced a pain like no other before. Of course, Dara knows there is a heart beating deep deep... much rather deep into Kaz's chest, nonetheless, the (now) man could do whatever he needed to make sure every party had their fair share (if they played right by his rules).

Moving on, it was the portion of a young Kaz getting hurt to a point to allow such actions to be taken in the future that alarmed and curved a dent in her heart that belonged to Kaz Brekker. She never asked again. Again, she grew up to know better than to ask. Even so, it did hurt her in a matter she had no idea it could ever hurt.

What did poor young Kaz have to endure in order to be a ruthless as he is now? Ketterdam assumes Mr. Brekker, the Bastard of the Barrel, has a mind like no other which is a rather fortunate skill to have especially in the depths of the crooked kingdom Ketterdam is, and yet... he does not lack the physicality everyone presumes he may due to a cane.

After last night, they had all ventured off to a nights rest needed in Wylan's quarters. Dara, Inej, and Wylan had their eyes wide open to as for Dara to speak of her nightmare. Inej made a promise to slash such hands if they ever laid on Dara while Wylan made wide eyes and promised that he would work better to possibly blow the general up instead.

Dara did not wish to dwell on it long. Soon after, Inej went off to sleep and Dara and Wylan were left to chit chat. Wylan had let Dara know of his father's brutal intentions to which Dara wished to go have at him, a bit of acting skills needed brushing up on anyway. Despite sitting in a chair with his eyes closed, Dara knew better to know that Kaz Brekker had been awake the entire time (she made sure to let Wylan know).

Nonetheless, she knew her feet would not step out of the warehouse without a certain caned man dragging her back into the safe walls of their escapism.

The morning followed, Kaz walked in to find everyone waking from their slumber and asking Dara to get ready as they had to venture elsewhere.

Hence, their location as of now.

"Go on, lazy bones," and man leeches out, "I know you can go faster than that."

Kaz walks, his cane echoing, Dara behind him, her mind in full alert. Broad daylight as murdering fugitives. What excitement.

The man turns around from his loud demands, finding Kaz and Dara right in front of him. It is clear, with the flick of his eyes, that he understands who they are.