Chapter 45

NORA

There's already quite a few people at the beach by the time we arrive, but it's not packed to the brim. Yet. We select a quiet spot a good distance away from everyone and lay down the two huge blankets I brought from home.

"Come here, Bells," I motion for her with a bottle of sunscreen. She obeys instantly and comes to stand before me with her arms thrust out. I lather her with a generous amount of the stuff and then do the same to myself. I'm just about to turn to Tyler, ready to do him too, but then decide better of it and just hand him the bottle. He's grinning so big I'm sure he knows exactly why I'm not massaging lotion all over him in public.

"Let's go dip our toes in the ocean, yeah?" I ask Bella, who nods her head enthusiastically. The water is usually too cold this time of the year to go swimming without a wet suit, but it's nice to just wade in the shallows, especially on a hot day like this.

We take of our sandals and set them on the sand.

"Ty-Ty, you guard the stuff" Bella commands him, and he nods resignedly.

"Yes, ma'am."

"I'm not a ma'am," she crosses her arms over her chest and puckers up her lips in a pout. "I'm not old."

"I'm sorry, my bad" Tyler clearly tries very hard to keep a straight face and if I'm honest, I''m desperately trying to stifle a giggle myself.

"I'm a lady," she announces, her head held high. "Or a princess."

"Alright, mi lady" Tyler performs a ridiculous sweeping bow from his sitting position.

Bella giggles at the sight and I take the opportunity to lift her small frame up and tuck her against my side before starting jogging toward the ocean. She laughs the whole way there, and I can't resist twirling us both around a few times before setting her down.

"That was fun," she hugs my side and I ruffle her hair. "Last one in the water is a rotten egg!" she suddenly yells and makes a sprint to the foamy waves hitting the beach. I jump after her, but make sure she reaches the water first.

She screams when her feet make contact with the cold, and I almost do the same when mine do the same.

"Cold, cold, cold," she chants, jumping in the water that reaches halfway up her calves. She makes no attempt at getting out, though.

"Catch me if you can!" I tickle her sides before darting away from her reach, laughing when she jumps in after me.

"I'm gonna get you!" she yells, laughing.

I act as if I'm trying my best to escape her, but in reality I'm being deliberately slow so she can catch me. I look over my shoulder and one moment she's right there, reaching out with her short little hands, and then a second later she's suddenly flying forward, tripping over something.

My eyes go round and I react instinctively, my arms reaching out to catch her before she hits the water, and end up losing my own balance. I fall backwards onto my butt, cold water instantly seeping through my shorts. By some incredible chance, though, I manage to keep Bella out of the water, my arms straining under her whole weight leaning on them.

I gasp for breath as the cold hits. I push her up the rest of the way so that she's standing on her own two feet, then jump up before my ass freezes over. 

"You okay?" Bella's concerned face peers at me.

"I'm good," I reassure her, goosebumps breaking all over my skin, "just a bit cold. Nothing a nice warm blanket won't fix. Come on, let's go back to your brother." I take her hand and lead the way, my face going red as my eyes fix on Tyler. He's howling with laughter, actual tears gathering in his eyes. Of course he saw. I can't help but stick out my tongue at him.