Chapter 35

NORA

"Come on, let me see it!" Tyler's fingers attack my sides, tickling furiously.

"No!" I cry through laughing fits. "It's a surprise."

"I hate surprises," he grumbles, stopping the attack.

"You're going to like this one," I smile confidently as I catch my breath. I can't wait for Tyler to see me in my prom dress. It's drop-dead gorgeous and really flatters my frame, not to speak my skin tone, even if I say so myself.

"At least tell me what color it is," he pleads, rolling to his side on my bed and leaning on his elbow.

I hesitate.

"I can't match my tie to your dress if I don't know what color to get," he reminds me slyly.

"Don't worry," I smirk. "I'll get you your tie."

He grumbles something under his breath that sounds suspiciously like "stubborn" and "pig-headed."

I grin as I lean over him, my fingers trailing along his bare arm. His eyes flicker down to my lips and I can see the hunger in them. Distraction succeeded. I lean down to press my lips on his and he immediately responds. My lips part and he deepens the kiss, his hand going to the back of my neck to pull me tighter against him.

His free hand travels down my back to my ass and I press against him, feeling his hard erection against my belly.

My phone blasting "I'll be there for you" by the Rembrandts makes me jolt in surprise.

"Is that the "Friends" theme song?" Tyler questions, a smile stretching across his lips.

"Yes," I move to get off him but his arms tighten around me.

"Where are you going?" he smirks, his mouth pressing kisses down my jaw.

I close my eyes, lost in his touch. The ringing stops only to start immediately again. I frown.

"I have to get that," I regretfully move out of his hold and this time he lets me.

Something in my expression must have alarmed him as he looks at me worriedly. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know," I reach my phone just as it stops ringing again. "It's Mads. She the only one with that ring tone," I tell him. "She's supposed to be at some fancy dinner party with the one-not-to-be-mentioned and his family and some business partners, I think. I don't know why she would be calling me," I frown at the phone and am just about to call her back when her name flashes on the screen for the third time.

I immediately press answer and put the phone to my ear. "Mads?"

"Nora?" her voice sounds small and tight.

"What's wrong? Are you crying?" I exchange a glance with Tyler. What did the sperm donor do this time?

"Can you come get me?" she avoids the question and I hear her sniffle.

"Yeah, of course. Where are you?"

She gives me the address of our father's house and I tell her to sit tight. I grab my keys and put on sneakers on my way downstairs, my heart racing in fear of what might have upset her at a dinner party. Our father can be a nasty piece of work but he's always treated Mads like an angel and I have trouble picturing him making a scene in front of other people.

"I'm coming, too" Tyler follows me out the door and to my car.

I nod stiffly and start the engine, my fingers tightening around the wheel.