Chapter 17

NORA

"What the hell?" a familiar voice breaks the silence, making us jump apart as if we've been electrocuted.

My shirt has ridden up and I quickly pull it down as we turn to face the person who just interrupted us.

Olive is staring at us with wide eyes and her mouth hanging open. Right, I never told her about the kiss.

Evan is standing next to her, looking amused, of all things.

I can feel my cheeks redden and Tyler scratches the back of his neck, clearly embarrassed.

"Uh," I start, but don't really know what to say. "We're just as surprised as you are?"

Evan bursts out laughing and the three of us turn to look at him.

He takes a while to recover and when he does, he shakes his head, "This is just priceless."

Tyler and I exchange a glance. Huh?

"I mean" Evan laughs. "You two... I can't!"

Olive looks at him like he's crazy, but then just giggles. "I would've never seen this coming."

"Yeah, well, me neither," I shrug my shoulders at her, avoiding looking at Tyler. I have no idea what that was and what it means, and I don't really care to sort it out in front of an audience.

She looks at be disbelievingly. "How? What? You don't just make out with your sworn enemy just like that."

"Well..." I lift my arms at my sides, "We kinda just did."

"About damn time!" Evan hollers, clapping Tyler on the back and winking at him mischievously. Tyler sends him a warning glare but Evan keeps going. "I knew there was something other than bad blood between you two!"

My mouth drops open at his insinuation. Umm...

"Uh" Tyler's eyes widen. "There's really not."

"Totally not," I hurry to confirm. "That was just..."

"A heated moment that..:"

"Grew more heated," I finish. "It's not what y'all think. We don't like each other. I mean, I can only speak for myself but—"

"Still don't like you either" Tyler is quick to add.

"See?" I tell my best friend. "Nothing going on. So if we could just all forget what you think you saw here..."

"Like that's ever going to happen" Evan grimaces. "The image is burned on my brain."

"Yeah" Olive shivers. "Like, couldn't you have found a bit more private place to suck face?"

I open my mouth to argue but Tyler beats me to it. "It wasn't planned! It was a mistake, okay?"

A horrible, really horrible... sexy mistake. I'm just about to say I need to get going home when a thought crosses my mind.

"Wait a minute," I frown, looking from Evan to Olive. "What are you two doing together, anyway?" I cross my arms expectantly, hoping to divert the attention away from myself.

Tyler catches on quickly and imitates my stance, staring at his friend.

"Uh..." Olive's cheeks get a faint pink taint and I immediately grow more suspicious. 

I direct my gaze to Evan, who is looking quite happy with himself. Oh gosh. No...

"We kind of had the same idea you two did," he smirks with no shame.