Chapter 50

NORA

As I reach the edge of the empty playground, my feet come to a sudden stop. What if he isn't still back at the house? What if he left? It's stupid and arrogant of me to think he would've stayed after I ran out on him like that. I probably hurt his feelings. No, I know I did. I would be a crumbled mess right now if he'd done the same to me.

I stand there at the edge, hesitating. What is he didn't wait? What am I supposed to do then? Find him, of course, I answer myself. I'm going to find him and apologize and tell him I—

The sound of shoes hitting pavement fills my ears and and I spin around, startled at the sudden sound amidst the silence. Tyler comes to a stop five feet from me, breathing hard, as if he'd run a marathon.

"Nora," my name leaves his lips in a breathy sound.

Then he starts forward, closing the distance between us in a few long strides. My feet leave the ground as he lifts me up and kisses me. Our lips mold together and I grip the back of his head to pull him closer. I can feel his heart beating just inches from mine. Thump thump. Thump thump. Thump thump.

We come up for air and I melt against his hard chest, my eyes closing as I inhale his familiar scent, my arms gripping him tight.

"I love you," I say against his chest, more tears falling down my face. I've done nothing but cry today, so it's a miracle there's any tears left, but then again, I've always been one to overachieve. "I love you," I repeat, louder this time, the words falling easily from my lips.

Tyler puts me down and cups my face, his thumbs wiping away the tears as I stare up into his brown eyes, willing him to see the emotions churning under the surface like he used to as a kid.

"I love you," I smile, loving how the three words taste on my tongue. "I love you, I love you, I love you."

His eyes melt, such deep understanding and love on his face that my hearth feels like bursting. I never knew you could feel this much. I'm almost overtaken by the emotion, holding onto him tight to ground myself.

"I love you, too, I always have," he smiles, his eyes flickering over my head to the set of swings still standing. "Ever since we were kids. There's never been anybody else. It's always been you. It will always be you."

I choke, floodgates now wide open. "I'm so sorry."

"Hey, none of that," he pulls me back to his chest, his hand going to the back of my head and stoking down my hair soothingly. "You're here now, it's okay."

"No, I need to say it. I'm so sorry I never knew. I can't believe I didn't know," I cry against his t-shirt. "And I'm sorry I ran out. I hurt you like I was afraid of you doing to me. I'm such an idiot, not seeing what was in front of my eyes all this time," I shake my head. "I love you so much it hurts. It physically hurts my chest," I let out a choked laugh.

"I know the feeling," he laughs, squeezing me tighter. "I'm never letting go of you again. I learned from my mistake. You're it for me. You're my world."

"Two-in-one," I whisper, the memory still fresh on the surface.

Tyler looks down at me. "Dad used to say that about us."

"Yeah," I nod, glad he remembers. "And he was right."

"You know, Madison just told me that your mom used to believe we'd end up together eventually. That we were two pieces of the same puzzle," he shakes his head, chuckling. "Can you believe it?"

"They knew before we did," I say, melting against him, wanting to never let go.

"I knew," he whispers in my ear. "I always knew."

"I was just slow to catch up," I reply as his fingers make circles down my back. "I'm sorry you had to wait so long for me to realize it."

He leans down and kisses my lips softly. "You were so worth the wait."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE END

I can't believe the story is finished, I've been writing it for so long. Surreal.

I want to thank everyone who read this far but especially those who've stuck with me from the beginning. I know it must have been really frustrating and maddening these past months when I've published less frequently, and I can't thank you enough for not giving up on me.

This year has been hard for me. I've been crazy busy. I've had a lot on my plate. And most importantly, I lost a best friend. The only friend who I'd showed both Hooked up and the chapters of Running from you that had already been written by the time she passed, and it has been an emotional roller coaster writing this story ever since. But I did it. I finally finished it. And I'm honestly so proud of myself.

I enjoying writing Running from you more than Hooked up, which is probably why this one is twenty chapters longer (was supposed to be somewhere between 30 and 40). I still have a lot of work to do, though, because I still need to edit this while book. In addition to fixing typos, I'm already thinking about scenes I want to add, like Tyler and Nora "fighting" more at the beginning, and well, just scenes with Evan because I absolutely adore him. Also, the other girls, as they're more heavily presented in the beginning of the story and then kinda accidentally dropped toward the end, so... A lot to do, still!

Anyway, THANK YOU! <3