Chapter 5

(Zane ^ )

"Nora! Wake up!" my sister's annoying voice screeches into my ear.

"What?" I ask groggily, shielding my eyes against the bright light.

"You overslept!" she pulls my covers off me. "We're going to be late if you don't hurry up!"

I groan and check the time. Seven-thirty. Crap.

"Up, up, up!" she pulls on my arm. "I can't be late to class. You know how much I hate it."

"Alright, alright, geez," I push my hair out of my face and swing my feet to the floor. "Calm down, woman."

"I can't," she groans, pushing me toward the bathroom. "Make it quick."

I roll my eyes but obey, taking a speed shower and brushing my teeth before applying mascara. No time for anything else. I pull on washed jeans and a black buttoned-up blouse I stuff in my jeans. I then slip my feet into ankle boots and hurry downstairs where Mads is already waiting for me with a sandwich wrapped in a napkin. She hands it to me wordlessly and I take it gratefully and speed out of the house after her.

We make it just before the tardy bell rings.

"Rough morning?" Connor asks me as I plop down next to him, breathing heavily as I just full out ran from the parking lot.

"You could say," I say as I pull my slightly tangled hair up on a messy bun.

"Zane's staring at you" Audrey leans over Connor to whisper to me and nods her head to the back.

I look up to find my ex indeed eyeing me. I frown and give him a look that says "whatcha staring at?"

He mouths, "I miss you."

"I don't miss you," I mouth back with a disgusted sneer.

He purses his lips and mouths, "I'm sorry. Really."

"I don't give a shit," I silently communicate back to him, lifting up my middle finger to drive the point home. He rolls his eyes, looking annoyed. Not my problem, I huff and turn to face the front, where Mrs. Holcomb is just starting the lecture.

---

"Nora—" Zane looks at me when the bell rings and everyone gets up to move to the next class. I quickly dart through the people and make it to my second period without him catching up to me.

"Who are you running from?" Evan asks me when I almost run into him in my hurry.

"No one," I lie and sit down next to him. We're supposed to be working on our project today. "Have you come up with any ideas?" I ask to change the subject.

"Not really," he admits sheepishly, "unless you want to write about cheating bastards?"

I make a face. "No thanks, I don't need my dirty laundry exposed in front of the whole school like that." Then I freeze. "Wait, how did you know—?" As far as I'm concerned, no one knows the real truth; there's so many different rumors spread around.

He gives me a look that says he's not stupid. "Because I heard Zane talking about it to Jaxon the other day. Whining something about how he made a stupid mistake and now you won't take him back."

"Yeah, well, I don't want to date an ass."

He holds up his hands. "Nor should you. I'm on your side, girl."

"You are?" I ask, a little surprised. "Aren't you sort of friends?"

"Sure," he admits, "but it doesn't mean I like everything he does."