Chapter 40

NORA

"Caleb?" I look at my first ever boyfriend in utter shock. "What are you doing here?"

It's been over three years since his family moved to another city a few hours away. We tried keeping in touch at the beginning, but soon we were basically just texting once a month and then even that dried up. I haven't heard anything from him in months.

He smiles that deep lopsided smile of his. "My aunt and her family moved here recently. I'm just visiting," he shrugs like it's no big deal.

"But, ah..." I don't know what to say. I'm feeling a bit blind-sided. "But what are you doing here at the school?"

"Oh, that," he chuckles. "I heard the concert's today and figured you'll be performing. And I was right," he nods back toward the door that leads to the stage. "Saw your duet." His eyes turn toward Evan for the first time. "Nice playing, bro."

"Yeah, sure, thanks," Evan looks just about as surprised as I'm feeling. He and Caleb were never really friends, more just classmates who happened to have some friends in common, but I'm sure he's heard plenty from Tyler.

"And Nora," he whistles appreciatively, his eyes raking over my body clad in a white ethereal dress with a sweetheart neckline. My hair's a wild array of curls set with a pearl headband. "What an absolute angel you've grown into."

"Oh, um... thanks," I blush heavily at his words. I'd forgotten how straightforward he is. I can almost feel Evan rolling his eyes next to me, and covertly nudge his side.

"We should probably go," he looks at me pointedly. "You know, family and friends waiting and all."

Shit. Tyler. My eyes widen as I imagine Tyler seeing Caleb here. Shit shit shit. This is not going to end well. I'm starting to panic.

"Well, I'll just join you" Caleb is quick to say. "I would love to catch up with some old friends. Olive and Zane still here?"

I freeze. Right, they were all friends. "Uh, I don't think Zane's in the audience," I try to play it cool. "Not really his thing, you know."

Caleb frowns. "I thought you two are dating?"

"We were," I smile tightly. "Not for a few months now. Yeah, such a bummer what happened. But never mind that now. Let's go, yeah?" I hook my arm with Evan's and start dragging him toward the staircase, Caleb following behind.

I try to think of a way to get to Tyler before he sees Caleb, but those plans are quickly scrapped when we enter the school's entrance hall, where basically everyone we know are already waiting for us.

I spot mom in conversation with Mr. Chambers and Evan's parents, none of them yet having noticed our arrival. Mads and Elliott are entertaining Bella near them, and all our friends have gathered into a loud group a bit farther back. Tyler stands away from everyone, changing his weight from one foot to another, a beautiful bouquet of flowers in his hands as he looks around, clearly searching for something.

He's the first one to spot us, and his wide smile is quickly replaced by shock and anger when he notices the blond guy in our wake.

"Oh-oh" Evan whispers so that only I can hear, as we walk toward Tyler. His jaw is clenched tight and I can almost see a vein in his neck popping.

I put on a reassuring smile, trying to signal "be cool" to him with my eyes.

"Tyler, my mate!" Caleb raises his fist for a fist pump as we stop in front of the ticking time bomb. Tyler looks from Caleb's face to his fist in disbelief, and after an awkwardly long time, Caleb finally seems to feel the drift and lowers his hand.