Chapter 3

After yearbook and AP psychics, I only have track and field left. I was made captain last year, and I've been given the honor to continue. We have six captains in total: three girls and three guys. Tyler and I are focusing on the runners, while seniors Felix Castillo and Jordyn Daniels are the captains of jumpers for the second year in a row, and Mason Myers, a senior, and Leah Gibson, our only junior captain this year, are in charge of the throwers.

Since we're currently in the pre-season, we're doing a lot of skill-specific technical drills alongside some conditioning. The guys and girls train separately during the off-season, but during pre-season we do a lot together, and during season everyone's at the track at the same time. We're not a big school, so we all fit just fine.

Since it's the end of February, we're only a few weeks short of the season beginning.

After I've gotten changed into my running clothes, I make my way to the field, where students are all scattered and babbling with their friends.

"Okay, warm-ups, everyone!" I yell loudly to get everyone's attention. As the captains, we're supposed to get the athletes warming up before the coaches arrive, so that they can then start the actual workout. "Follow me!"

I take the lead and start jogging around the track, Tyler soon appearing beside me. Jordyn and Felix keep up the rear, making sure no one falls behind. After ten minutes, I start doing high knees, everyone following. After thirty seconds we continue jogging, then do another thirty seconds of lateral shuffles. We continue in the same way, doing butt kicks and high kicks, along with arm circles, leg swings, and lunging.

"Okay good!" I slow to a slow jog, then to a walk, and we meet our four coaches by the bleachers.

Coach Wheeler, our head coach, specializes in sprints and hurdles, making him the one I work closest with. Then we have coach Vasquez, who is officially the girls' coach, but during pre-season and season she mostly trains the jumpers. Our two other assistant coaches are Patterson and Herrera, who train the long distance runners and throwers, respectively.

We all separate into our fields. I specialize in the 400 meters, which is considered a long sprint, and the 800 meters, which is middle-distance, but I usually train with the sprinters. I do some miles a few times a week to help my endurance, but speed is more my thing.

I wave at Olive and Michelle who start running their miles around the school, and take my position on the track. We're doing 200 meter repeats at sixty percent speed today, resting a few minutes between each set.

I line up with my teammates and we set off.

The guys reach the 200 meter line first, with Zoe and Ximena, our best girl sprinters, close behind. I make it as third of all the girls. I'm fast, but not fast enough to compete in the hundred. But then again, I have more endurance for the four hundred than any of my teammates. That's my event, the one I excel at.

After an hour, we end the training with a cool-down, which consists of light jogging and stretching. The jumpers and throwers join us.

"Who do you think will make the 1600 meter relay team this year?" Hailey asks me.

I was the anchor last year and I'm confident I'll take the spot this year as well. Our problem is, the other three of our relay team graduated last year, so we'll have a brand new team this year. We got all the way to states, and I want to make it this year too, and win this time.

But it's not looking good. We have a lot of sprinters and long distance runners, but not many who do the four hundred. I'm probably going to be the only girl running the dash at the competitions, so we have to gather our relay team from people who're fast but don't have the endurance, and vice versa.