CHAPTER 9

LISA'S POV

"No seriously, why are you crying?" I asked, I know Jennie's not going to cry over a joke. She doesn't mind me mad, of course we're rivals for years. Me getting triggered by her rude remarks won't bother her at all.

Maybe it would satisfy her.

"It's just... well, my mom." She sniffed, she wiped the tears off from her cheeks with the sleeves of her plaid jacket. "What about your mom?" I asked, she suddenly gripped on both of my sleeves.

"Can you hug me again?" She cracked.

"Of course." I pulled her closer, letting my chin rest on top of her head. To think that we always bark on each other's asses these past few years, we'd actually end up like this; It's pretty ironic.

She started to sob even harder as I let my hand stroke her hair, "There there." I'm not really good at comforting someone, even when Chaeng is crying, I just let her hug me till she calms down.

I wonder what's wrong with Jennie's mother? I always see her whenever there's a figure skating event, and this time, I didn't see her supporting Jennie. Maybe that's why Jennie couldn't bring her into the conversation whenever we open up.

"My mom.." Jennie pulled away, she's still crying. "You can tell me," I placed the excess strands of her hair behind her ear, to get a better view of her face. "I hate her so much." Jennie fake a laugh, pulling away from my embrace.

"Why?" I asked, Jennie glided away from me, I can only follow her as we skate far away from the cabin. "You know the reason why I hate you so much, Lisa?" Jennie stopped herself, she faced me again.

I can't follow her point,

"Why?"

"That day when you're the one who got that gold medal... y-you know what she said to me?" She asked, Jennie sounded angry yet she's still smiling with her eyes all red from crying.

"That I'm a huge disappointment, I'm her worst daughter." She laughed again. "She even threatened to disown me and guess what?"

Before I could say something, Jennie cuts me off, "She did! She fucking left me in the sidewalk! Throwing all my stuff away like I don't mean anything at all!" She replied, raising her voice.

"From that day on, I always fucking hate you Lisa... and now, what am I even doing? Why am I friends with you? Why did I accept your offer to be your partner!?" She shouted, I can't find the right words to answer her, I might say something that would drive things worse.

Not when Jennie's angry from a serious matter, this is nothing to make fun about.

"I–I  really don't know what I am doing, I just.. I don't have any other choice, I have nothing left." She said, gliding closer to me, I now understand why she holds a grudge whenever there's a competition.

I should've known.

"I don't want you to pity me, that's just worse as to what she did." She added, "God what am I even doing? Why the hell am I telling this to you?" She pushed her brunette hair back, frustrated.