The Full Moon

The next day, I tried talking to Newt a couple of times, but I realised that he no longer wanted anything to do with me. I shouldn't have been trying so intently to figure out what happened with his leg - it wasn't my place.

~10 Days Later~

Being a Builder was great fun. Hard work, yes, but apparently a lot safer than being a Runner in the Maze, as Newt had said. Not that I cared what he thought, of course...
On this particular day, I found that I was feeling strange. For one example, I found that I could lift objects heavier than I previously could. "You're just gaining muscle," Gally stated dismissively.
Throughout the day, I found that I was also quite quick to anger. I could guess what that meant without memories from before the Glade...

"Gally, I think I might be on my period." His face flushed red and he hesitated. "Oh, please." I tutted, "I just need to use the toilet and see if... y'know?" We had half an hour before lunchtime and no work to do so he had no excuse not to help me.

"If we get there and there is... what do I do?" He asked.

"Go and see if any sanitary products came up in the Box with me." He nodded. We both tentatively made our way over to the toilet; a singular stall that was rather small and had an alarming lack of privacy.

Newt's POV

Alby and I were walking around the Glade, checking on everything. Alby reached out a hand to my chest; stopping me from walking any further. He pointed towards the forest: Gally and ___ were walking together, tentatively, in the direction of the toilet. Gally was blushing and ___ was laughing every so often. Alby was about to approach them until he was called by Zart, the Keeper of the Track-Hoes. "Go and see what they're up to, Newt." I did as he asked, nervous and embarrassed beyond reason, and desperately hoping that ___ and Gally weren't up to what I dreaded they were...

Reader's POV

Before I could even set foot in the cubicle, I heard Newt's voice from behind me. "What the bloody hell are you two doing?" He asked. How kind of him to jump to conclusions...

"None of your business," I replied. We hadn't spoken in over a week and the first thing he had opted to do was to shout at me?

"Leave it, Newt," Gally instructed, grabbing the boy's arm as he tried to approach me.

"Oh, you want me to leave it?" Newt asked. "How about you stop trying to shuck ___?" Excuse me; to what?

"That's not what's going on," Gally replied, utterly baffled. I couldn't stop myself from cackling as I walked into the toilet stall. I could hear their voices from inside. "You don't have to be jealous, Newt," Gally snickered.

"I'm not- I wasn't-..."

"Nah, we're good, Gally." I said from inside the stall as I pulled up my shorts. "For now..."

"Oh, thank shuck," the boy said, taking a breath and putting his hand on his chest. I laughed. It must have clicked for Newt what was happening and, with a blushing face, he stormed off.

"What's with him?" I asked, watching as the boy subtly limped away.

"Can't you tell? He's jealous; he likes you," Gally stated with a smirk as we made our way back through the Glade.

"Likes me? He hasn't spoken to me since the day I got here!" Gally raised his comical eyebrows. In spite of spending time with boys for as long as I could remember, I really didn't understand them.

~~~

Later that day, when sunset neared, I found that I had an urge to go through the vast stone doors and inside the Maze. I was in a trance, unable to snap out of it. I got up from where I had been sitting and snacking to walk towards the still-open stone doors.
I wasn't walking very quickly. My body felt light and strange, as though I was only looking through my eyes as someone else took over my body. I heard footsteps approach from behind me but I didn't stop moving, as if I couldn't. Gally called my name, "where are you going, shank?" He asked.

"Into the Maze," I replied. My voice sounded lower in pitch than usual.

"'Into the Maze', no you're not," Gally mocked with a chuckle. He grabbed my arm, trying to pull me away; I snarled and pushed him to the ground. "What the shuck?" He exclaimed. I continued walking towards the Maze as the sun slipped beneath the walls, and the bright full moon revealed itself from behind the clouds.
Just as I neared the Maze doors, I felt a great pain consume my entire body and I fell to my knees as a few Gladers rushed over to me. From their scents, I could tell they were Gally, Alby and Minho.

"Get... back..." I managed to grunt, just before I felt my bones cracking and I felt myself morph into something that was most definitely not a human. My sense of smell, eyesight and hearing were all a lot stronger than they had been before. When I stood, I found that instead of two legs, I was on four.