Marvelous Night for a Moondance

About a week later, the Full Moon was upon the Glade. I found that this time, luckily, I had no urge to go into the Maze. Newt and I were a lot stronger. But also a lot more emotional, of course. The other Gladers were as understanding as they could be; mostly opting to stay out of our way.

"Hey, guys!" Chuck called to us about an hour after breakfast. He was standing with a few other Gladers in front of the Box. "We got something cool!" Newt and I jogged over to see an old radio in Alby's hands.

"Maybe if we tap into the right frequency, we can get some contact with the outside world; the people who put us here?" Frypan suggested.

Alby tried tapping a few buttons and flipping a few switches, it spoke: "the song will play in 9 hours." It was an automated, robotic voice. But a clear voice nonetheless.

"What song?" Chuck asked.

"How the shuck d'you think I'd know, kid? I'm standin' here right next to you," Alby snapped.

"Don't talk to him like that." I snapped. I could feel my fangs come through as my eyes gleamed. No, I couldn't see them gleaming, but I could definitely tell. Newt gently rubbed my arm and whispered 'it's okay' in my ear to calm me down. It worked.

Newt and I were excused from our jobs for the full moon, so we wandered around and helped other Gladers where we could; putting our strength to good use.
"Hey, ___, look at this!" Newt called. He was easily lifting a large wooden log over his head.

"If you drop that, you're gonna shuck your toe," I replied with a laugh, carefully taking it from him and placing it where it was supposed to be; as a separator between female and male pigs.

"Can't they get over this?" Newt asked as Winston passed us.

"Yeah, which is why you're drilling in these metal poles." He pointed to a pile of metal that one of the other Gladers had carelessly chucked to the ground with a 'clang' - bringing both Newt and I to recoil from the amplified, high-pitched sound. We did as were told - somewhat grateful that our abilities were being put to good use, instead of us being thrown into the Pit again. It was full moon, after all.

~~~

That evening, at the campfire, 9 hours from when the radio had spoken, a song started playing from it. A song that sounded somewhat familiar.

"I think it's jazz." Someone said.

"No, slinthead, it's blues."

"Could it be both?" I heard Chuck ask. Laughter from the others erupted, even though I was sure there could be more than one genre to a song... Newt stood up, cleared his throat and adjusted his clothes.

"Would you like to dance with me, my luna?" He offered his hand.

"Luna?"

"I don't know, it came into my head... probably a wolf thing."

"Well," I began, taking his hand, "I would not be opposed to dancing with you, my alpha." My words made his eyes glow with power for a moment; it was so alluring. We danced under the light of the moon - some other Glader couples (gay, of course), joining us on the sand dance floor.

"You look beautiful tonight, love," Newt whispered into my ear.

"Thank you," I whispered back with a smile, kissing him softly on the cheek.
After a few minutes, we both transformed to our wolf selves. I was glad that we didn't lose our clothes when transforming, it made things a whole lot easier, and cut the embarrassment to nil.

I stared into Newt's golden wolf-eyes as he stared back into mine. We couldn't dance like this, so we did the next best thing. We closed our eyes, folded our ears back and threw back our heads to howl at the sky. To our surprise, the other Gladers started howling with us. We couldn't smile, but our tails were wagging with excitement; they were joining us, being like us. They were making the Glade a Pack. And it felt wonderful!