Downtown

When I woke up, I was in the med-jacks' bed, being watched over by Gally and Newt. "Is this my after-maze spot now?" I asked Newt in wolf-speak. He didn't look too impressed.

"Crazy shank," Gally tutted when he saw I was awake.

"What did I miss?"

"Thomas saved your ass, you better thank 'im," Newt said to me.

"Yeah," I began, trying to turn, instead yelping at the immense pain in my side.

Jeff rushed over to me, "don't move, wolfy. You got a bad hit to the side. You're lucky you weren't Stung."

"Or killed." Gally added, his bulky arms folded across his chest. "Thomas is in the Pit for rushin' into the Maze. And if it weren't for your injury, you'd be too." I could tell he was worried about me: shucked off that I'd left him just after we'd fixed our fall-out.

"How long will I be here for?" I asked, wanting to leave immediately. All I'd wanted to do was help. As far as I was aware, that's what I'd done. Or at least, tried to do. I still didn't- wait. Thomas was in the Pit!? I jumped up in shock: how had he managed to survive and what had happened to Minho and Alby? I whined as the pain in my side registered in my mind. Jeff and Gally eased me back into a lying position on the bed.

"Don't move," Newt said to me.

"How are they alive?" I asked him, trying to carefully shuffle myself into a more comfortable position as Jeff moved one of my hind legs. There was a large bandage around my torso and when I looked over at the table, I saw an electric razor, with tufts of my fur colour in it: they must have shaved me to tend to my wound.

"Tommy saved you. He got a mechanical part from the Griever, too. It's got a little number on it: Shuck knows what that's for," Newt explained.

"Ask her what she was thinking," Gally began, "she didn't have full-moony powers this time, who knows what could've-" I barked at him. "Don't tell me to shut up." I hadn't even-

"If you go into the Maze again, Alby's gonna send you out there permanently, ___." Newt said. "That's all we're worried about." After deciding to confront Alby later, I calmed down, before remembering something; and looked over at the bed beside mine: the girl Greenie was no longer there.

"She's all right. She just ran into the Glade," Jeff began. "You should get some rest; let Gally and Newt get back to work." I nodded slowly, admitting that it would be better for now. I settled my head on the pillow, and as the three boys left the room, I dozed off.

~

♪When you're alone and life is making you lonely, you can always go... downtown♪

I was walking through a nighttime city, in human form, staring up at the tightly-packed buildings and their flashing neon signs. Rain fell onto my face from the night sky above. Not a star was in sight: it was too bright down here to see any.

♪When you've got troubles, all the noise and the hurry seems to help, I know...♪

I was in the middle of the road, but every vehicle or cyclist drove around me, as if I was really important and they didn't want to hit me. I found I couldn't turn around: I could only move forward.

♪Downtown...♪

I felt a hand clasp my own and looked next to me to see Newt, dressed in a fancy suit and wearing a black bowler hat. At least, I thought it was black: the flashing neon lights made it blue and red, and a bit purple.

♪Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city♪

He pointed to a fancy-looking dress shop nearby as people passed us on the street. The rain was still hitting my face, but I remained unaltered by it: Not even cold. We approached the shop.

♪Linger on the sidewalks where the neon signs are pretty♪

Once inside the intimately-lit shop, I looked at all of the dresses and outfits, finding one I particularly liked. I pointed at it, and - all of a sudden - I was wearing it. Newt led me to a full-length mirror and spun me around, beaming approvingly.

♪How can you lose?♪

"You look beautiful," he said into my ear.

♪The lights are much brighter there♪

"Thank you," I replied. He pulled me toward him, pressing his body to mine, and kissed my lips softly.

♪You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares♪

He spun me again and, suddenly, we were back outside, the rain heavier now. Gally joined us and held an umbrella over our heads. I almost didn't recognise him... he looked so different.

♪So go downtown, things will be great♪

Thomas and the new girl were walking, toward us, hand-in-hand, with Thomas holding the umbrella over their heads. Newt greeted them and they spoke for a moment, though I couldn't make out what they were saying.

♪When you're downtown, no finer place for sure♪

We looked over to see Minho and Frypan, who didn't have an umbrella. They were jumping in puddles on the street, ignoring the cars that beeped as they sped past them.

♪Downtown. Everyone's waiting for you♪

"Where's everyone else?" I asked Gally.

♪Everyone's waiting for you♪

He moved away to face me, handing me the umbrella. I noticed he was wearing a mask that covered his entire face. "They didn't quite make it."

♪Everyone's waiting♪

"What do you mean?" The red and blue lights flashed even brighter and the rain fell even harder around us. The beeps from the cars got louder and louder as the cackling laughter from Minho and Fypan filled the street.

♪For you...♪

Dream scene inspired by the film 'Last Night in Soho'