A New Runner

When I woke up, I found that the dream had been as terrifying as it had been thrilling. What had Gally meant? I couldn't exactly ask him: I decided to forget about it.
I heard a familiar voice whisper my name and slowly opened my eyes. "Chuck?"

"They said you were in wolf form."

"I must have shifted back in my sleep..." I muttered. "Can I leave now?"

"I don't think that's-"

I tried to get up. "I'll be fine. I wanna meet the Greenie."

"She's throwing rocks at us, you should be careful, another hit could-"

"I'll be fine, Chuckie." I assured him with a smile.

~

As soon as Newt and Gally noticed me hobbling slowly over to the group of Gladers under a tree platform, they rushed to me, anger on their faces. They both started speaking at once: to me and to Chuck. "It's..." I began, trying not to strain myself more than I already was. "It's not his fault, don't blame Chuck. I need to speak to the girl."

"No, no you're not, you're-"

"Newt, please." He huffed, knowing he couldn't stop me.

"Hey, I'm a girl, too," I shouted up at the platform. Rocks stopped being thrown. "I-...I don't know if that helps." She poked her face over the side.

"What happened to you?" She asked, noticing my rolled-up shirt and bloodstained bandage.

"I'll tell you all about it, if you stop chuckin' rocks at us. Do you know a Thomas?" She nodded. "Yeah, well he's our friend and he just saved my life last night. I'll take you to see him, if you like,"

"No, she can't-" Gally began.

"I'll at least explain the situation in a way that won't make us look like barbarians," I argued. "Let me talk to her, please. She's surrounded by a group of burly boys, her first instinct is gonna be to protect herself."
He sighed, knowing I was right.

Gally helped to carry me up to the top of the wooden platform and as I settled myself to sit opposite the Greenie, I noticed she was pointing a Machete at me. I chuckled, pointing at my bandage, "if you attack me, I won't be able to defend myself." I could have said more but I didn't need to: She slowly put the sword down and I introduced myself by name.

"Teresa," she replied. She had bright blue eyes and seemed quite feisty.

"Welcome to the Glade. Now, I believe you know Thomas. D'you wanna meet him?" She shrugged and nodded, "I'll take you to see him then?"

"Okay."

~

Thomas was still in the Pit for running into the Maze. I was sure it wasn't very easy for him to meet her like this: it made him look like a criminal, or at least a bit doltish. "Thomas," I called as we approached. I saw his hands grab the wooden bars. "The Greenie's here to see you: her name's Teresa. I'll leave you guys for a bit because I need to get back to the Homestead. Oh, and I dunno how you did it but thanks for saving my life," I said with a smile.

"No problem," he replied. "I'll tell you when I'm out of here." Teresa knelt in front of him and I carefully made my way back to the Homestead.

Chuck met me partway and tried to help by supporting my weight. I knew he wouldn't listen if I told him not to worry. "It's full moon tomorrow night," he said to me.

"Already?" I replied. "Okay, thanks for telling me."

~

When I settled back on the medical bed in the Homestead, there was a knock at the door. Chuck opened it to see Gally, who didn't look at all impressed. "Thomas is now a Runner." He stated maliciously.

"Wow!" Chuck exclaimed, looking over at me.

I was confused. "What..?"

"He's wanted to be a Runner since he got here." Chuck said to me. That made sense now.

"He can't just run into the Maze like that, and neither can you!" Gally snapped.

"He saved my life, and Alby's and Minho's," I replied. I knew that being aggressive wouldn't help so I changed my tone to speak more gently: "I understand you care about the Glade, but he saved my life. We don't want living here to be 'survival of the fittest'."

"___, you're not invincible just because you're a werewolf." There it was. The truth that I hadn't been wanting to admit. I sighed, unable to argue anymore. Gally continued talking, "tonight, and tomorrow night since it's full moon, you're gonna be locked in the Pit so you don't feel tempted to run into the Maze again."

"Understandable," I replied glumly, before shuffling to lie on my bed, "I think I'm just gonna rest now." Chuck and Gally understood, leaving me by myself.