My Best Friend

"Do you feel any better now, ___?" Newt asked me, gently stroking my skin with his fingers.

"Yeah," I breathed with a smile.

He kissed me on the cheek. "Let's go to the campfire. We need to find out that Greenie's name and we don't want Alby gettin' suspicious that we've been gone for too long." He was right. We cleaned ourselves up, put on our clothes and made our way out of the Homestead.

~

When we arrived at the campfire, we saw the Greenie and Gally fighting in the sand pit circle. "What's he doing?" I asked Newt.

"Fighting Gally."

"He's going to be killed by Gally," I replied. The bag of bones that was the Greenie didn't stand a chance against Gally: he was 140 pounds of muscle and rage. With these facts considered, it was even more of a shock when the Greenie pushed Gally to the ground. I could see the embarrassment fill his face as he looked up at me. I blinked.

"Not bad for a Greenie, huh?" The Greenie asked. Gally swiped his leg under the boy's and he fell to the ground.

"His poor ego," I heard another builder say. I knew he was talking about Gally, not the Greenie.

"Thomas," the boy whispered, getting to his feet. "Thomas! I remember my name, it's Thomas!" We whooped and cheered, giving Thomas an official welcome; patting him on the back and shaking his hand.

~

Newt and I sat with Thomas, leaning against a log as we sat on the grass. Newt was in the middle and the Greenie and I were sat either side. "Hell of a first day, Greenie," Newt began. "Here," he handed Thomas a glass of alcoholic drink. "Put some hair on your chest." The boy took a swing and instantly spat it out, spluttering and coughing.

"What is that?" He asked.

"I don't even know." Newt laughed. "It's Gally's recipe: a trade secret."

"He's still an asshole."

I lowered my gaze - it had been a while since I'd properly spoken to Gally. Being Stung had really taken a toll on him. "He saved your life today," I stated, looking up at Thomas. "The Maze is a dangerous place and I was lucky I survived when I was out there one night."

"What?" He exclaimed, "you've been in the Maze?"

"It was more of an accident." I averted my gaze to deter him from asking more questions.

"We're trapped here, aren't we?" Thomas asked.

"For the moment," Newt replied. "See those guys over there, by the fire?" He pointed, "those are the Runners. That guy in the middle is Minho; the Keeper of the Runners."

"Every morning when the Maze doors open, an hour before the Wake-Up," I continued, "they run the Maze, mapping it and memorising it. They try to find us a way out."

"What's in the Maze that's so dangerous?"

"Listen," Newt raised his finger as we heard and felt the rumble of the Maze walls shifting. "That's the Maze changing. It does it every night. Unless you're skilled enough to be a Runner, it's very easy to get lost out there. Not only that, but there are monsters that we call 'Grievers'. Only ___ has seen one and lived to tell about it."

"The wolf? How..."

I looked at Newt, who rolled his eyes playfully. "Go on, then," he said in wolf-speak.

I kissed him on the cheek and stood before the boys. "I'll show you," I said to Thomas. I prepared myself for the pain as my bones cracked and shifted to fit my wolf body.

"It... you're ___? You're the wolf?"

One of them, I wished I could reply as I winked at Newt. "She's not the only one," Newt added, as if he'd read my mind. I heard footsteps nearby as Gally approached, holding two jars of moonshine. He looked at me suggestively and I transformed back.

"Wanna sit and have a drink?" I looked over at Newt, who put his thumb up with a smile. He seemed to be having fun with Thomas, anyway. Gally and I walked to another part of camp and sat down together. "How ya been, shank?" He asked me.

"I've been great, actually."

"You haven't spoken to me much."

It was true; I hadn't. But he'd been Stung, and I wasn't sure how to feel about him after that. It was a bit off-putting... "I didn't know how to-..." what kind of excuse was I going to come up with?

"I get it. I was Stung. You didn't wanna be involved in my crazy situation."

"Gally, I," he was right. "I'm sorry."

"You were too busy being a dog and runnin' around after Newt that you forgot about your best friend, didn't you?" His grip on his jar tightened.

"I didn't forget-"

"Then where were you? Huh? Where were you, when I was havin' a tough time going through the Changing?"

"The Changing?" That was an honest question.

"Nobody told you?" I shook my head. He tutted. It was shocking that, even know, information was being withheld from me. I needed to talk to Newt about that. "The Changing is what happens before we get given the Grief serum. It hurts like hell and I ended up having memories from before we got sent up here."

"Your memories..." I stopped myself. It had clearly been traumatic. He sipped from his drink.

"I don't remember much. But I didn't turn my back on you when we found out you were a wolf, so why did you?" It was a good question; I didn't have a good answer.

"I'm sorry, Gally. If I'd have known... I was told that being Stung would make you aggressive and that you would't want to be around anyone. Why didn't you ask for me?"

"Because I expected you to be there for me." That hurt. I realised I'd made a big mistake. I put my untouched glass on the ground and embraced Gally. He dropped his own in surprise and hugged me back. I apologised profusely, and I was sure that I'd heard Gally sniffing.

"Are we still friends?" I asked.

"Best friends," he replied, in a girly, high-pitched voice, topped with a goofy smile. We laughed. And continued to spend time together until the Greenie's welcome was over, and it was time to go to sleep to prepare for the next day.