A Werewolf's Kiss

After what couldn't have been more than an hour, I was woken by the scent of Newt. Hopefully I wasn't just imagining it again. If it was Gally instead of him, I wouldn't be happy. I hadn't yet forgiven him. A boy sat in front of the bamboo bars, quietly, so as not to disturb me. I closed my eyes, pretending to be asleep. "Are you awake, ___?" By the accent; definitely Newt. I opened my eyes, stood, shook my coat and trotted over to see him, leaping up so my front paws were on the edge of the pit. I poked my nose through one of the gaps, sniffing: he had food! Newt smiled warmly, "Winston thought you might like this," he pulled a chunk of raw pork from his pocket. I didn't control my tail wagging, it did it on its own, but very rapidly. Not wanting to bite him, I carefully took the pork from his hand. I wished I could thank him as I gnawed the delicious flesh. When I'd finished eating, I looked up at Newt again. I supposed everyone else in the Glade was asleep. I didn't want to be left alone now. "I'll stay with you," he whispered. Once again, I couldn't help my tail wagging. He laid next to the bamboo cage, facing me. I settled down in the floor of the pit and closed my eyes.

~

When I awoke, it was morning and Newt was already opening the door to let me out of the Pit. I transformed back in the process and he lifted me out. I could feel his warm breath on my neck and I could smell his refreshing scent. Once I was out, he was still holding onto me. I gazed into his brown eyes as his hands travelled down to my waist. I moved closer to him and, very slowly, the gap between our faces grew smaller. Our lips touched, for a brief moment. We must have decided that we liked that because we closed the gap again and kissed properly. "What the shuck are you slintheads doing?" A voice boomed from the direction of the Homestead. Alby. We quickly pulled away from each other, blushing furiously.

"Sorry, Alby." Newt muttered, scratching the back of his neck. I, for one, was not sorry. I folded my arms, glaring into Alby's dark eyes.

"You had me locked in the pit."

"It was for your own safety," he replied harshly, "and everyone else's. I wasn't gonna let this shank have a night like that again," he gestured to Newt. I looked at my boots. It had been my fault that he'd spent a night where crying replaced his rest. He took my hand in his and gently lifted my chin to meet his gaze:

"It's not her fault, Alby. She didn't know she was a wolf."

"Maybe not, but at least we know now she won't attack us when she is," Alby replied. I could see Gally approaching from the Homestead.

"She wouldn't have, anyway. She was fine yesterday!" Newt interjected. Alby tutted.

"She's your responsibility, now. If anything goes to klunk, you'll send her into the Maze yourself."

"Why?" Gally asked, "she'll just come out again, right as rain. Maybe with another Griever leg. And hey, we found something on it. Minho thinks it can help get us outta here." Thank you, Gally. Alby perked up at this. He shot Newt and I a warning look, before heading back to the Homestead. Gally looked between Newt and I, deciding that it was best he leave us alone.

~

Newt and I walked over to the gardens, hand in hand. "Are you okay?" I asked. He looked a bit off.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He replied, with a smile that looked forced. I stopped him and moved my hands up to his shoulders.

"Talk to me."

"I don't know, I-" suddenly, his head turned: a pig had escaped and was running around the Glade, Winston hurrying after it. Without a second thought, Newt made to run after it. I caught up with him easily, his limp not doing him any favours. I wrestled him to the ground. "We... need... to... get.... that... pig," he panted. There was a wild look in his eyes, and his teeth looked very sharp. Oh no. I transformed as quickly as I could, shaking off the pain as I glared into Newt's glowing eyes (I wasn't strong enough as a human girl to pin him to the ground).

"What's going on with you?" I asked, in a language that humans couldn't understand nor hear.

"I don't know." He replied in English. He'd understood me? Something was wrong. He tried to move to see the squealing pig but I held my great paws against him.

"We need to take you to the Med-Jacks."

"No, no- I'm fine." He tried to struggle from my grasp.

"You're not," I growled.

"Okay, okay," he replied. Slowly, I got off him. And slowly, he stood. We started to walk towards the Homestead until, suddenly, he bounded off. But not towards the pig - who had been caught, - but towards the Maze.