The Escape

Those of us who survived hadn't slept a wink that night. We had been too busy fighting and preparing more defences. "It's time for us to get out of here," Newt said. The only problem was: some people wanted to stay.

"We belong here," Gally said - much to my surprise.

"No, we don't. People aren't supposed to live in mazes," I stated.

"More of us will die tonight if we don't leave while we still can," Newt added.

After some painful argument, those of us who wanted to stay did so, and those of us who wanted to leave made our preparations.

~

When it was about time for us to leave, and we had wooden spears made and sharpened, I walked over to Gally, who was sawing planks of wood. I put my hand on his shoulder, "Gally?"

He said nothing, not even stopping his sawing to talk to me.

"I don't want to leave you, you're my best friend."

"Then don't: Stay here."

"It's not safe here, Gally." I said gently. He stopped sawing, placing the saw on the plank he was working on. He turned to look at me and I smiled, thinking he was finally going to agree and join us, or at least give me a goodbye hug if he wasn't. But I was wrong. The next words he said to me hurt more than the pain in my side.

"Shuck off."

~

Thomas, Minho, Newt, Frypan, Teresa, Chuck, Winston, Jeff along with a few others and I stood deep inside the Maze, about to turn a corridor into where the exit apparently was. Newt's left arm was protectively around me while his right held a wooden spear. Thomas was giving us an inspiring speech. "...we stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now, or we die trying." He hit his spear on the ground, "ready?" We nodded, murmuring nervous agreements, "LET'S GO!" We turned the corner and charged forward, working together to send a Griever to its demise. Someone was sent off the edge.

"The key!" Chuck shouted as the Griever leg piece we needed was thrown across the ground.

"Chuck, watch the edge!" Teresa shouted as we helped him get it and ran towards the others after they'd pushed the first Griever off the edge; two more were coming for us. When Chuck got close to the stone door, it rose, revealing a continued corridor. We climbed up, but needed to type in a code. Teresa shouted down to Thomas, who shouted down to Minho, who shouted up the numbers. Once everyone was in and the code had been typed, the stone doors shut off, trapped and squashing the grotesque monsters.

~

We found a room that looked like a mix of a lab and an office. It smelled weird and I didn't remember seeing technology like this for a long time. Thomas pressed a button on one of the screens and another screen on the wall lit up: a woman wearing white with a pulled-back blonde ponytail was shown sitting in a chair. "Hello, my name is Dr. Ava Paige. I'm director of operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you've successfully completed the Maze Trials." We all approached to watch the screen. What on earth was this woman talking about? "I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you. But circumstances seem to have prevented it." The people behind her looked worried, and started rushing around: what had happened? "I'm sure by now you must all be very confused... angry... frightened. I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you... it was all done for a reason."

Footage appeared on the screen. "You won't remember but the Sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire and famine. Suffering on a global scale." It looked devastating: buildings on fire or burnt and charred. Burnt bodies lying in heaps on the rubble. "The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We call it the Flare." We were shown repulsive images of a virus under a microscope and a brain being dissected to reveal a horrid black substance. A man writhing in a chair with dying veins of the same colour. "A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent, unpredictable, uncurable... Or so we thought."

The doctor was shown on the screen again. "In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. We used the latest technology to create hybrids because animals didn't seem to be affected by the virus, although only two survived." Newt and I looked at each other; who was the other hybrid? "Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure. The young would have to be tested and even sacrificed in harsh environments where their brain activity could be studied - all in an effort to understand what makes them... you different. You're very important, but your trials have only just begun. Not everyone agrees with our methods, so remember..." she brought a gun to her head as people with armour and rifles stormed into the room, shooting glass and attacking the scientists. "WCKD is good." I looked away, only hearing the shot.