All I Had To Do Was Stay

After the tension is evaporated by our teasing back and forth, we settle in calmly for dinner. We don't talk much during it, as we're both busy eating and reflecting on our hard work from the shoot today. We finish up, grab our check, then pay and head out the doors of Aurora. "That was a good time, right?" Hannah asks sincerely as we exit. "Yeah. Wholesome. Content and much needed. Calmness away from it all. I'll tuck our delinquent kids in when we get back." I joke with her and she laughs hard. She shoves my shoulder as we continue laughing, then reaches her hand to pull on my bicep to bring me closer to her, then sneakily intertwines our arms together. We reach the small rock garden in front of the restaurant and stand there, arm in arm. As we're content outside in the cool night breeze, Hannah looks at her phone and says, "Oh, did Paris mention if we're getting picked up here? And what time?" I reply, "No, she didn't say, but I don't mind walking." I use my finger to point up and signal for her to look through the treetops; it's the roof of our hotel in the distance. I look back down at Hannah, "It's probably only a few blocks. You up for the challenge?" I ask her and giggle.

We walk back to the hotel enjoying each other's company in silence, letting the warmth from the other's arm be enough. Within a few minutes we arrive, and I pull Hannah closer to me before we enter the lobby. I ask her, "Do you want to come into mine tonight?" She looks at me with a look full of "you finally fucking asked", but instead replies, "I'd love nothing more."

We take the elevator up, and I wrap my arm around her back. I let my head rest on her shoulder and close my eyes. She laughs warmly, then tilts hers back against mine, "You can't fall asleep on me yet, you promised you were gonna tuck the kids in." "Hmmmmm, not a good enough reason. Shhhh, I'm sleeping," I tease and say in a whisper with my eyes still closed. Then, while still against my head, I feel Hannah tilting hers to my forehead, bringing us to eye level with each other. She coughs. I open one eye, "Yes?" I feel her stare as she brings the tips of our noses together, and says confidently, "If our fictional kids aren't a good enough reason, will this be?" She puts her lips on mine and grabs my hips as we start making out. She moves her hands to my jacket pockets and backs us up against the side of the elevator wall. I put my hand in her hair and tug it lightly, "Hannah," I puff out from catching my breath. Suddenly, the elevator stops, which signals it's our floor. She pulls away from me and says in her normal voice, "Great, I'm glad that was a good enough reason. Now put one foot in front of the other and walk." She amuses herself and mocks my whimpering from just seconds ago, "Rowan". I roll my eyes and laugh too, and follow her down the hallway. We get to my door and she asks, "Key?" "Oh, right, sure." I fumble with my bag and get it out.

We make our way over to my bed and both sit down. Without hesitation, I begin the conversation first, "What could I have done differently that night?" She responds calmly, "All you had to do was stay."