Prologue

Mystic Falls, Virginia, November 5th 1864.

The sun streamed in between the trees as the young girl made her way back to her fathers. Carrying a small basket of freshly picked roses, she began to hum a light tune. She smiled when she saw her fathers home come into view, it quickly dropping though when she saw her father frantically running out of the back yard with her duffle bag.

"Father, what's wrong?" the young girl asked, her father shook his head.

"Sweetie you need to go now!" he exclaimed as he handed the bag to her.

She looked at her father in confusion before her eyes widened when she heard a door burst open. Her dad looked behind him briefly before turning back to his daughter.

"You need to go" he said pushing her to move, she shook her head.

"I'm not leaving without you" she replied as he chuckled.

"You are my daughter," he said kissing her forehead, "but you need to run now we will meet again my rose"

"Where is she?!" a voice screamed, the girls father pushed her again.

"Go!" he shouted before the girl slung the bag over her shoulder and ran back into the forest.

"I love you father" she whispered, running further into the forest her dark blue dress trailing behind her.

Tears began to fall from her eyes as she felt an ache in her chest, confirming that her father was dead. She knew they would be after her, she was after all regarded as an abomination. Her father had told her about her mothers coven, The Sacred Coven is what they called themselves. The Coven saw anyone who wasn't born from a powerful witch bloodline as beneath them, they killed anyone who threatened this bloodline.

That was why she was running, her very existence threatened them and they couldn't have that. She knew they would find her but she didn't think it would be this soon, her father had warned her that the coven would be after her given what she is. She wiped the tears from her eyes as she ran faster.

Her mother, Morgana Rosethorn was a part of this absurd coven. Her mother had been in an arranged marriage to keep The Sacred Coven 'sacred', the witches of the coven weren't suppose to mix with travellers in fear that they would taint their powerful bloodlines but that didn't stop her mother from falling in love with the girls father, a young man named Pietro Petrova who was a traveller.

Out of this love affair, the young girl was conceived. She was the offspring of a witch and a traveller. After her birth, her mother handed her to her father and told him to keep her safe for she knew that they would come for her daughter.

The young girl hadn't met her mother but she heard stories from her father about her. She smiled sadly when she recalled one of the conversations she had with her father about her mother, he had told her that her mother was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. That she held herself with so much grace that he felt like he was in the presence of a real life angel.

The young girl shook her head slightly as she ran further into the forest, dodging trees and fallen twigs. The rays from the sun felt warm against her olive skin, her brown hair bouncing around her shoulders in soft curls. She ran down a small, narrow path where she was met with a small cottage.

She knocked on the door frantically as she prayed her friend was inside. The door opened to reveal a young girl, her black hair was tied loosely behind her as she saw the frantic look on her friends face.

"Marie, they're here. I need you to take this and keep it safe for me, ok?" the young girl said as she passed her duffle bag to her friend.

Marie looked over the young girl with concern as she took hold of the bag and placed it inside her home.

"There is a letter in the bag, if I'm not back here before sunset I need you to do everything the letter says," the young girl said, quickly pulling Marie into a hug.

"Marie Jacobs you are one remarkable witch and a very dear friend, I will surely miss you"

As the young girl pulled back, Marie took a hold of her hand and squeezed it gently.

"Nora Petrova it was a pleasure being your friend, be safe" Marie told her. The young girl, Nora smiled.

"As soon as I leave the path, I need you to put up the barrier so no one knows that you are here" Nora told her friend, Marie nodded.

With that, Nora ran from the house. Halfway up the path, she stopped and turned to wave goodbye one last time before she disappeared from the path. Running through the forest Nora came to a stop when she entered a clearing, noticing that there was a stone slab in the middle. She sighed as she looked around, her eyes instantly looking down as she saw a black cat. It's green eyes seemed to glow.

Kneeling down, she smiled as she was eye level with the cat. Holding out her hand she giggled lightly when the cat bumped its nose against her fingers. She began petting the cats fur.

"I will need you to guide my doppelganger for me, she is to go on a powerful journey and she will need someone to help her" Nora whispered as she placed some of her magic into the cat.

Green eyes looked back at her for a moment before it turned and ran off into the forest. She stood up and dusted off her dress as she watched the cat leave. Straightening her shoulders she lifted her arms into the air as the wind began to pick up speed, with a clear voice she screamed to the winds.

"I send my powers to my descendant,

for she will have the same face as me.

She will come into her powers through strong emotion,

and she will destroy those who have harmed thee."

Nora dropped her arms as the strong winds seized, smiling as she looked ahead. Her doppelganger will come into her power and when she does she will avenge Nora and her fathers death.

"There you are" a voice said from the right of her as she swallowed.

Turning around slowly she saw that she was surrounded by five witches of The Sacred Coven. They all looked at her as if she was beneath them. The one who spoke raised her hand as the young girl was thrown onto the stone slab. Her back was pressed to the stone, her arms and legs were outstretched as they were roots came up out of the ground and wrapped around her wrists and ankles to keep her from leaving.

She tried to ignore the fear that was slowly encasing her body, she didn't want to give them the satisfaction in knowing that she was afraid. She knew that the time had come for her to die.

She watched as they all surrounded her, their hands stretched out towards her. Nora kept her attention on the leader as she had pulled out a small silver dagger and held it above Nora's chest.

"We have to do this, we can't have your kind ruining our coven" the leader said to Nora, "any last words before you die"

The leader was taken aback when she looked at Nora to see her grinning. Nora looked at each of them, before turning her attention back to the leader.

"To die would be an awfully big adventure"

Nora looked to the sky, night had fallen and the sky was filled with stars. Her eyes filled with tears when she saw the silver dagger glint in the moonlight as the leader slammed it down into her chest.

I'll see you soon father. Nora thought before tears slipped down her face as her eyes closed a final time.