Dungeon Chapter 7 - Getting Your Bearings

...about the close call he had just caused. Endeavor shook their head at him as they caught up, studying their surroundings instead. Link's ear twitched as he heard a hiss. A red flare passed by, lighting up the speckled eggs along the walls.

Endeavor looked up, gesturing for Link to follow their glance. "There is another mine shaft above us, and I sense pressure beneath us." They pointed around the room to tall stalagmites. "If we could get enough of those to fall, we may be able to help the tension release and bring this floor up to that shaft."

"Make a lift up?" Link asked as he pulled his bomb bag back out.

"That is the general idea," Endeavor replied. "And it may destroy those nests in the process."

Link nodded as he lit the fuse on one of his bombs and set it down beside one of the stone pillars. He quickly retreated back into the center of room as the bomb exploded and rubble flew everywhere. A few pieces bounced off his shield as he pulled another bomb to blast the next tower.

There was great shuddering as the pillar crashed into the wall. It was grinding against the ears, and Link regretted his very sensitive ones as the sound echoed through the cavern. He quickly pulled another bomb out of his bag to try and speed things along a little faster.

While he planted the second bomb, Link asked, "How am I going to restock on these?"

"In here?" Endeavor said. "The Gorons would have stored some bombs for what they could not punch through. I do not see Zeal being able to hide all of them. Outside of this...there are some stores that may have them among their wares. Searching through crates may save you some rupees, but we will be here longer."

"I guess we'll have to see what we find," Link said as a second pillar crashed down into the wall. The floor began to crack, and steam poured up around them. He swiped his wrist guard against the side of the bomb, the fuse lighting. He rolled it over towards another pillar. There was a flash, and the stalagmite tumbled over into the wall, followed by another terrible grating of stone over stone.

Steam began to stream out from the edge around the crack. Link rolled another bomb at the final pillar, before standing next to Endeavor, though not looking at them as he braced for the launch. He still felt a little embarrassed about nearly dropping an explosive on them.

The final pillar fell through the wall. There was the sound of shattering as the floor as the stone cracked and the last of the dodongo eggs broke. The newly formed island was pushed up by the powerful amount of steam beneath it, launching Link and Endeavor back up to the main level of the mines.

The shaft they had landed on returned Link and Endeavor to the tunnel they had entered from the core of the mines, only a floor above it. Before they could drop down, Groko came rolling along from out from the entrance to the mine, most likely returning for the Gorons trapped across the lava. Endeavor called down, "Is all fair with your kin?"

Groko skid to a halt, and unrolled himself. He looked up at the two above him, and smiled. "You did it, brothers!"

"The dodongo is vanquished," Endeavor said. "And we have found a source of explosions." Link showed Groko the bomb bag he had found.

The Goron's expression brightened at the sight of the dark blue bag. He exclaimed, "Those can open the tunnel up for us, brother! We can cleanse the mines!"

"Do not get ahead of yourself," Endeavor replied. "There is still a matter of reaching and dealing with what Zeal has placed between us and the temple. If I can get a view of the mines, then I may be able to find a way to get into this Sealing Room. You said your leader hid a key?"