Chapter 20

Hilary flew in with Gus early this morning and not wanting to have that awkward encounter with them, I decided to head to the airport with Jeffery who pleasantly surprised to see me waiting in the car. On the journey to the airport, Jeffrey told everything that he could possibly think of about his son so I could be prepared. 

Our meeting at the airport went surprisingly well and Gus spent the journey back talking about all the new things going on his life. Gus actually knew who I was and he greeted me before leaving to play in the backyard with his dad.

Hilary and I are currently sipping on some wine that she bought for us as we get to work on preparing an early dinner for everyone.

"You don't have to act like that." I look up to see Hilary looking at me. "I'm not mad at you nor am I looking to fight."

"That's good to hear because I would have whooped your ass." I wink at before taking a sip of the wine.

Hilary just laughs, "Maybe you would have."

"How have you been adjusting?" I ask in reference to the divorce and Jeffrey moving out. "Is it tough?"

"Yeah." She nods her head while cutting the carrots. "I have gotten used to Jeffrey not being there and I don't feel as if I lost my lover because we mutually parted ways. The tough part comes from Augustus wanting his father around or wanting to catch the next flight to see Jeffrey."

I nod my head in understanding, "I have three girls with Jeffrey and two of my girls decided to go with him

I nod my head in understanding, "I have three girls with Jeffrey and two of my girls decided to go with him. That was really hurtful and it took me having a heartache to bring all my girls back to me."

"Wow." Hilary looks at me in awe. "How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Live." She smiles sadly. "I read about your divorce with Jeffrey and never did you look as if you lost your battle. There were never any images of you breaking down or reports of you acting out, it was as if the whole thing didn't affect you."

"It affected me tremendously." I scoff while downing the rest of my wine. "Jeffrey probably wouldn't mention this but we had lost a son the same year we divorce and I had a miscarriage."

Hilary closes her eyes, "I'm so sorry."

"I went from having a full and happy household to having nothing." A tear rolls down my face and I quickly wipe it away. "It was the biggest transition in my life and truthfully I didn't know if I would make it but I had children who still needed their mom. I had many reasons to live so why be selfish and give it up for a pain that I knew would subside over time."

"Wow, you're so strong." Hilary wipes a lone tear away and I shrug my shoulders. "You definitely deserve more credit than you receive."

"Well I am a woman and we unfortunately are not praised for overcoming shit in our life." I chuckles as I wash the potatoes to the get dirt off them before I begin cutting them in quarters. "There were many days when I wanted to give up and there were days when I did. I know that I'm probably the last person that you want to hear from considering that I'm with Jeffrey but you'll gt through it."