Chapter One Part: one

Amity Jam has always been my favorite.

I spread the fresh fruit spread on my toast, and take a seat at the table, like every morning for breakfast. Kayleigh, or "Kay" as I've always called her, sits beside me. She has a half-eaten apple in one hand and a newspaper in the other. She has always been interested in our faction and shes very intelligent. Most of all, she's kind, like all Amity are, but she's different, which makes her a very doting sister to me. I take a bite of my toast and the salty sweet taste it leaves in my mouth lingers for longer than expected. My Mom and Dad already left the dining hall for the farm. They spread the seeds across the fields for the growth of cucumbers and squash and tomatoes. I want to say goodbye to them, especially today. Not for a "goodbye" in return, but a "good luck" for the test.

Today is the day where we take the test - the aptitude test - the exam that tells us which faction we belong in. Amity is my home, and I really want to stay, but a part of me is begging to leave - to explore the city.

Or at least a different faction.

I've told myself before that I will rely on the test no matter what. The test never lies, and it gives you a solid indication on what to do and where to go.
I finish my toast and bring my tray to the lady who washes them. I hand it to her and walk back to Kay, without a word. Why didn't I say thank you? Or even smile at her? That was not Amity. My parents would be ashamed.

Lost in my thoughts, I bump into another Amity who carries a tray with assorted fruits in a bowl - Dove.

Dove has been my best friend ever since the first day of school and I know no one I can trust more than her, except maybe Kay. I have never really made friends with a lot of boys at school or on the farm when I helped mom and dad. But it was as if Dove made it her own personal mission to welcome me into her life, and I am beyond thankful for her.
"Ah, Dove I'm sorry!" I tell her, helping her up from the ground. I bend down and we pick up the fruit that spilled from the bowl.
"Oh its okay, I should I have watched where I was going too. I can't blame you for lack of concentration though, with the test and all." She replies.
"Are you scared?" I ask her, putting the last piece of banana in the bowl.
"Only a lot." She jokes.
"Are you?"
"No," I lie, "Just wondering whats gonna happen."
"You're not the only one, James, believe me." She gets up from the floor and walks to where her brother sits, waiting for her.
"I'll see you at school" she waves at me.
I stand there and nod, drifting off into fear of what could happen later this morning.

______________

#Wattys2015