Chapter Eighteen

I run without looking to see who it is, but I have an idea whose after me. The Erudite around me immediately spread to the side as I sprint down the isle they made for me. Bullets fly extremely close to my body, but I make it to the door to the stairs in time before one of them hits me. I don't know which floor I need to go to, but I just follow the letters to the highest floor - Z. By the time I make it to B, the people chasing me are not far behind. They start firing their guns again, but I am very good at dodging the bullets - thank you Lucas. I make it to V... then W... I'm so close... X... the guns don't stop shooting... I am almost there. I see the letter Im looking for and a whimper of relief flies out from my lips. My hand jerks the knob open and I run into the hallway that I am taken to.

I slam the door behind me before the men get to the top of the steps. There's a small window in the door I look through until I see one of the men. I smash the door open into his jaw and blood smears on the glass and he falls to the floor. There is one more guard that is climbing the stairs. He shoots at me, but I dodge behind the door and use it as a shield. When he gets to the top of the stairs, his gun points at my temple and I back into the wall behind the door. There is nowhere to run. He looks at me and studies my face. He is going to shoot me. I scream and kick him in the shin, and fire at his chest. He falls down the steps and I wince when his dead body hits the floor.
Guilt rubs against me, but there's no time for mourning. I slip out the door at the top of the stairs, and continue the search for my friends.