Chapter Twenty-Four

Ignoring the rest of us, Jeanine looks up to the guards that hold us back.
"Take them to room 35A, we'll do one last examination on them and then you can get rid of them." Jeanine tells them.
The men do as they're told and drag us the same direction that Dove was taken to. I look at Lucas, he looks like he's an infused bomb, ready to explode. He looks at me and winks, then mouths the numbers 1...2...3... Lucas takes his gun and rams the butt of it into the Dauntless guard's stomach. The Erudite man drops him and Lucas rolls to the ground, dodging bullets.
"C'mon!" Lucas yells at Marie and I.
We both follow through and slam the butts of our guns into the men's guts. As expected, we fall to the ground, and dodge the bullets that fly at us. Lucas is ahead of us, so I watch his every move as instructions on how to escape. He darts into a room that has a wooden door with a sign on it.
Its the bathroom.
Marie and I follow until I here a high a pitched screech behind me, over the consistent firing of bullets. I look back and see Marie crawling towards me, with her right leg dragging behind her, covered in blood. She grits her teeth and closes her eyes, and continues to move.
There's no way she is going to make it.
"Marie, No!" Lucas yells, looking back at her.
I continue to sprint to the restroom, but Marie doesn't follow. Instead she makes an effort to crawl as fast as she can. I make it to Lucas just in time to look back and see one of the guards fire a bullet into Marie's head.