Chapter Seven

After we change into all black clothes that Lucas gave us, he takes us to the Dauntless training arena. Unlike most Amity boys, my arms have always been built up from lifting bags of soil for the garden, but the muscle in my arms does not compare to the muscle in Lucas'.
We first learn the correct way to punch. Amity would not approve.
Then we learn how to kick.
Amity would not accept.
Then we learn how to fight.
Amity would be ashamed.
After we learn the correct way to kick and punch, Lucas takes us to a mat placed on the ground and shows us how to position ourselves.
"Now I want you two to fight each other. I don't expect much, but I want a fair fight. Okay?" Lucas says.
We nod, but don't look away from each other's eyes.
"Good luck, shorty." Marie says to me.
"Good luck." I reply.
Marie decides to swing first, and she hits me hard, just above my jaw. I stumble back and look at Marie. She gives me an injured-puppy kind of look, but she keeps her fist in front of her face. The way she looks at me makes the pain in my jaw turn into burning pique. I charge at her stomach and I tackle her to the ground and she lets out a heavy sigh. When I have her down, I kick her in the side but she swings her fist at my ankles and I fall to the mat next to her.
I can feel Lucas' eyes on me.
Marie ascends herself to her feet and drags me up with her. She brings me close to her face and slams her fist to the side of my head.
My patience for her sets off like a wild fire.
I smash my foot against her toes and punch her hard in the gut. She falls again and I raise my foot to kick another time, but with more force. My foot strikes her in the nose and I kick her in the same spot again. She yells and I kick her once more in the stomach.
How does that feel?
Just as my foot rises to pound Marie again, Lucas sprints towards me throws my body off of her. I land far past the mat and I lose my breath.
"Hey!" He yells at me. "This was supposed to be a fair fight! You never hit a person when they're already down."
The red and hot anger in my face immediately fades into a shameful, pale color.
"Im sorry." I tell Lucas and Marie, who slowly gets up. She has blood smeared on her face from her nose and a purple mark that surrounds her eye. Something shifted in me, I could feel it. It was like I'd lost all the decency that my heart had contained, but it felt almost familiar. The dauntless side in me had taken over, and to an extreme.

Lucas stares at me as if I had just slaughtered a pack of innocent kittens. He then takes Marie with his hand on her back and walks her away from me.
Maybe I'm more dauntless than I thought, or at least when I am in danger or when I'm angered. I wouldn't know what the feeling of anger was because I was never irritated in Amity, and because of this I feel a sense of betrayal. But this is still not okay.
I tempered Lucas.
I hurt Marie.
I have disappointed Amity.