Chapter Sixteen

By the time the tracks from the trucks fade into the grass, I only have to follow the train rails to make my way to the crowded and run-down buildings. My back, neck and legs and feet all ache and the sweat-soaked shirt I wear on my back doesn't make things any more comfortable. I am too tired to run, or even jog, so I allow my pace to be slightly below a normal walking speed. I stare at my reflection through the muddy puddles on the ground. My eyes are neighbored with dark circles and my cheeks are stained with tears. My thick, dark brown hair is matted and sticks up in the back. Kay and I were always told we had the same eyes and hair. We both had the same dark chocolate hair and rich, brown eyes. The thoughts of Kay form into a sharp blade, and pierce my heart. I can't think about her right now, if I want to keep moving. So I think of something else. Someone else - Dove.
Oh, how I crave Dove's strong, sweet, scented hair. And her lips. They have the smallest bend right in the center of her top lip. How I am still able to feel passion in my beaten up heart is a mystery to me.

* * *

Blurs of grey and blue swarm past me from the buildings I pass on the train. I've never liked the color blue. Not because of the shade or the way it looks, but because of the people who wear the color on their backs. Erudite has turned intelligence into an endless battle between who is right and who is wrong, and I despise them for it. I'm glad my results were never Erudite because I disliked the faction in the first place, but they killed my sister. Now I hate them even more.

I stand from where I sat on the train floor, and look out the open door of the cart. Below me, all the factions collide into a surge of different colors that form sort of a discolored mess. In general, the faction system has always seemed kind of pointless to me. Ever since I can remember, I always wondered why we were split up into different groups. I always wondered why we had to be five, instead of a whole. But pieces of the answer I look for have found there way to me. For example, I know now why I have these thoughts.
Not because I am curious.
Not because I am smart.
Because I am divergent.