Chapter Seventeen

I know I have to prepare myself to jump out of the train when I see the dirty, stained, dark sidewalks fade into the clean and spotless white ones that Erudite have managed to keep immaculate. Whatever is left of the Amity inside of me grasps the beauty of the neatly shaped bushes that Erudite trims daily. Would Amity understand why I have to do what I am doing, even if it means hurting others? Would Kay want me to risk mine and others lives to save the people that say they can help me, including Dove? Do I even think that this is logical, that this is right? It doesn't matter now - none of it does - because I've already launched myself from the wagon, and into Erudite.

I walk through Erudite with sturdy posture, and show off the dauntless black I wear to the ruthless Erudite. Erudite has tall white buildings that surround me - all the same height and width. Erudite stare at me as I walk past them, but I ignore them and look straight ahead and focus on the task at hand. I strain my neck to the side, so that they all can see my tattoo. Now, my tattoo shows off more than my Amity. Because blended with the dauntless black I wear, my Amity tattoo shows off my divergence - something I'm proud of.

After walking past countless white buildings and numerous impertinent Erudite, I come across a humongous building that is different from the others. This, I know, is where I have to go. How I know I have to go here, I am unsure, but I can feel it. The doors that hold the entrance to the building are glass, and surprisingly unlocked. I walk into the room the doors take me, and find the lobby of the building crowded with Erudite. I continue to ignore everyone who stares at me and walk directly to the signs in the back of the room. I picked the right place because the building contains a countless number of lab numbers, offices, and most importantly, prison cells. I begin to pick my feet up and walk to the stairs when the shouts begin from behind me.