Chapter Fourteen

My legs swerve in an awkward pattern to shift my feet back to Amity. What happened to them? Why didn't I notice the Erudite before or hear the trucks as they came through the fence? They're in trouble, and I have to save them - all of them, even Lucas. This is my fault, and I can't deal with anymore stress. Being the cause of someone else's death would be more painful than death itself.
As soon as I make it back to Amity, I run through my neighborhood where my home is - where I left them. They no longer stand there. I turn into the dining hall and call out there names. I don't see any black clothing, only red, yellow, and orange. I run through a garden where I sometimes used to help my mom plant lettuce and watercress. Tears begin to tremble in my eyes, but I clench my teeth and blink them away. I run into a building and open door after door, and run down hallway after hallway. Where are they? I see the erudite trucks through a window in the hall. They're still here. My legs pick up speed on energy that I don't have, I'm running on pure adrenaline.

The building comes to an end, and I face a door. I slam my body through it and trip into another garden. This one contains un-grown tomatoes and cucumbers and peppers. I get up and turn to my left and stay close to the side of the building, my fingers gripping the gun's trigger. The wet mud cushions my heels and feels good on my feet, but its slowing me down. I grip my toes and continue to sprint past the building until I hear a woman's scream, which stops me in my tracks. She screams again and I follow the sound. By the fourth time she screams, I see her - I see the back of Kay, being shoved in one of the trucks. To her left is Marie and Dove who are in the same truck, but they look forward so I can't see either of their faces. I hear another scream and see a twitch of movement in the corner of my eye. Kay leaps out from the truck door and sprints in the direction of the farm - In my direction. She catches sight of me and runs to the building I stand behind. Her mouth opens to yell something to me, but the sound of gunfire behind her prevents any words to escape her lips. Her eyes widen and move to the back of her skull as multiple bullets lodge into the back of her head.
Her limp body descends to the ground.