Chapter Twenty-Five

Lucas' shoulders drop making his arms go limp and his face wears something that looks beyond pained. I shove his mindless body into the bathroom and slam the door. Once the door is locked, I look over at Lucas. He sits on the floor with his jaw dropped and knees bent. Tears quiver in his eyes and his face is a deep shade of red that reminds me of the apples we grew back at home. I cannot morn over Marie, not now. Not with the condition Lucas is in and the plan we have to follow through with. The guards start to pound on the door and I hear feet kicking at the wood. Pretending to ignore Lucas' expression, I shake his shoulder and look into his eyes.
"Climb out one of those windows and I'll meet you outside. If I'm not there in 5 minutes then head for the fence without me. Im gonna go find Dove." Lucas stays silent, but gets up slowly and slogs his way to the window. When I see the top of his waistline disappear below past glass, I whip the door open and dodge behind it. My plan throws the guards off, because they all barge in at once. This is my chance. I run directly pass them and into the hall and slam the door behind me. I shove my gun through the handle of the door and on the fire alarm signaler next to it so they can't open it. Unpremeditatedly, my gun sets off the fire alarm and water sprays from the ceiling onto the hallway floor. The water rejuvenates my energy and washes away the sweat on my body, cooling me down.

Focus. Jeanine's voice penetrates my thoughts, Send her to lab 39A. I keep my feet silent, but steady as I jog to the lab, avoiding puddles on the way. Only about 30 feet from the bathroom I see the lab. I run to the door and take a deep breath. Peeking my head in through the door way, I see Dove sitting in a metal chair facing the opposite direction of me. Derek stands beside her, facing the same way. Why didn't they leave when I hit the fire alarm? Is Derek that motivated to kill Dove? I lift my arms to shoot Derek when I realize I am unarmed. I left my gun in the bathroom door. Stupid! I yell at myself in my head. If I go back to get it, she'll be dead by the time I return. I look around the room and see a black bag that stands out from all the blue and white in the room. It looks familiar. I think of where I could have possibly seen that bag when it hits me. Its Lucas' bag. I quickly, but quietly, jog towards the sack and keep a sharp eye on Derek. He's mixing together something in a small glass vile. I reach in the bag and feel around for a gun, but there are no guns left. My hand swipes something cold and metal.
The box that contains the syringes from my test.