Chapter Ten

The next day goes by fast, as if the day wanted to be over as much as I wanted it to be longer. Today's the day that Marie and I would choose our factions, which we're clearly not participating in. I think of Kay and how she thinks and what she would choose. I can't think of any other outcome for her than Amity.

We stay in Lucas' apartment and go over what we learned yesterday, until about 6:00. Lucas left for patrol duty at about 5:00 this morning, and he should be coming back soon according to Marie. I wipe my hands on my pants and take deep breaths. Kay always told me to do this when I am nervous about anything.
Kay.
I think of my whole life that I will leave behind, that will be only a memory. I'm not leaving without Kay... or Dove - I can't.
Marie sits next to me on Lucas' couch. She doesn't show any remark of distress and seems genuinely calm. It must be the relationship she has with Lucas. She must share a great deal of trust with him, something I've always had issues with. Except for with Kay - I need Kay.
"Do you think Lucas would stop at Amity? I need to grab a couple other people." My voice comes out small and weak - which makes me straighten my back.
"I doubt it," she says, "Lucas is still pretty mad at you and the Amity farms are just another way for us to stop and get killed - through his eyes. It would be too risky to be caught if we are seen."
I sigh and pick at my finger nails. I need Kay and Dove - I need to convince Lucas.

Lucas gets back to his apartment around 5:45 at night, so I have to ask him fast.
"We need to leave in fifth-teen, got it?" Lucas demands.
I walk over to him and fold my hands behind my back.
"Lucas, I know that you would do anything for your sister. I feel the same for my sister, Kay, back at home along with my friend, Dove. So I'm begging you, can we please stop at Amity just for-"
Lucas cuts me off before I can finish and I'm getting real tired of it.
"No. It's too risky. You could end up killing them, as well as yourself - as well as the both of us." He gestures to Marie and himself.
"But-"
"No."
I now know why others hate it when people do not let me speak, it drives me insane. I Ignore Lucas' ignorance and think of a plan. I need to find some way to get to them, even if it means risking my life and unfortunately, Marie and Lucas' too.