Chapter Nine - Heath, Mum and Dad

I wanted to duck behind River as Heath turned, exasperated to his mother, "What are you doing, Mum? You're not meant to clap when someone goes off at your son."

She shook her head and smiled wider, "She wasn't going off at you, Heath. She was simply letting you both know that she should be respected and be given a chance before you lump her into some sort of category." Her eyes found my own, "Isn't that right, Alira?"

I gulped, "Yes, ma'am."

River let out a chuckle before I gently smacked him in the stomach.

Their mother lightly stepped from the veranda and approached, looking tiny between the two boys even as I realised that she was slightly taller than myself.

"My name is Mum, Keira or Mrs Daimon if you insist on formalities but never ma'am - especially from someone that my son as claimed as a friend." Her eyes were gentle as she ran them over my own features.

"Thank you," I answered softly, "It's nice to meet you, Keira." I turned to the looming boy on my left who still had his arms crossed as he fought against his scowl softening into an indulgent smile, "And lovely to meet you as well, Heath. River talks about his family all the time."

Heath grunted, "He talks about you as well."

"Yep," River threw his arm over my shoulders, "She's my best friend."

I snorted and smiled up at him, "You've only known me for two weeks. I could turn out to be a...a closet monster or something."

"Heath apologizes for his assumptions and the way that he's treated you so far," Keira grinned as River tightened his arm around me, "Perhaps we can all go inside and start over. The boy's father is looking forward to meeting you as well."

I had the feeling that their expectations were too high and once they found out about my own family, their attitudes would change. First impressions told me that they were all good people who were dealing with their sudden fame as their son stepped deeper into the spotlight but I didn't know enough to personally judge how they would take my confession.

I was the daughter of one of the richest men in the country while my mother's name constantly appeared at least once within every fashion magazine available. And yet I had remained protected from the kind of negative attention that River was wary of because my father was a protective and pragmatic man who had the power and influence to ensure that my name and photo appeared nowhere when linked to theirs.

That would all change, of course, when the end of the year arrived and I made my decision about college. I wasn't afraid anymore.

I heard a rumble as I slowly and awkwardly trotted beside River toward their front door. My eyes flicked to the others as I scrunched my nose up, "What was that?"

I watched them all exchange glances as the sound came again, even louder.

"Oh that's just my husband tinkering in the garage. He'll come in soon to meet you," Keira answered with a cheerful smile.

"I hope my visit hasn't interrupted any plans today," I blushed, feeling awkward as Heath pushed the front door wide open to let us all step into the foyer.

"Of course not, Alira. I'm happy to be able to meet you," Keira assured me with a smile as we paused so that I could have a moment to take in the entrance of their home. I had to admit that it was lovely with an airy feel of comfort and family.

"You have a beautiful home," I murmured.

"Thank you but it actually belongs to Heath," she turned away to lead us down the hall and into a living room with peach coloured couches and an extravagant home theatre system.

River had finally released me as he walked ahead - I could almost feel the heat of Heath's chest as he walked close behind me.

"Mama, how many times do I have to tell you that I bought this for you?" The exasperation was plain to hear in the oldest Daimon's voice.

It worked in his favour that he seemed close to his family and had so far admitted to buying his mother a house that she was clearly both in love with and proud of, and taken the time to threaten me on behalf of his brother.

I moved further away from him and cautiously moved around the room where I could see an abundance of photographs displayed - it seemed that Mrs Daimon wanted everyone who stepped foot into her home to know how very proud she was of her boys.

There were the usual baby and family pictures alongside many others that showed their growth into adulthood.

River's smiling face beamed out at me as he appeared to be taking part in every extracurricular activity from soccer to sky diving, while Heath's photographs moved from his childhood into what I could easily tell were professional images. His career, fights, successes - even cut outs from the newspaper after his movie had been released.

After being raised around people and families who had been born and raised into the elite, the differences between them and the Daimon's were glaringly obvious. This wasn't about throwing the family's success in the face of her guests, this was about the deep prideful love that she had for her children.

River may not be famous like his sibling but a first glance showed me that there was no favouritism - although only knowing them for a few moments couldn't really tell me everything.

River had been their biggest defence so far - I couldn't imagine parents and a big brother being completely horrible when they had all helped to raise such a wonderful person.

The three Daimon's left me to my quiet explorations whilst they indulged in some quiet and easy-going banter.

I had to smile - how they treated one another was so similar to how I saw myself and my parents interacting that I felt a burst of anticipation when I could introduce them all. I wanted these people to be a part of my life; wanted to know that no matter how much money I had in the bank, I had something real with real people who understood why I am the that I am.

I was so consumed by my own thoughts that I neither heard nor saw when a large, male stranger stepped into the doorway.

"Do we have the number of an electrician, Keira?" The deep boom of the voice had me startling so badly that I jumped and spun with a hand pressed to my chest.

Even though he was covered head to foot in some sort of black dust, I could tell from the height and strength of his body that this was Mr Daimon.

"Marcus," Keira gasped, a hand flying to her mouth, "What happened? Why do we need an electrician? What is all the on your clothes?"

I noticed that neither of the boys seemed overly worried or surprised. They both crossed their arms and began to shake their head as their father gave his wife a sheepish smile.

"I may have put a hole in the roof of the garage and cut through some wires," his eyes shifted until they were looking into my own. His smile turned into a delighted grin, "Alira." He cried happily, with his arms flinging wide as he rapidly approached giving the distinct impression that he was going to squeeze me up into a hug.