chapter 4

Emily swallowed hard as her eyes met Jennifer's. Standing this close she could really see how incredibly blue her eyes was and how easy it would be to get completely lost in them. It took every ounce of willpower she had to take a step back and away from Jennifer's arms. She took another step back to recompose their personal space. Jennifer realized she'd been holding her breath and as Emily backed away from her she slowly exhaled.

"I'm so sorry Emily, I didn't know you were right outside the door." she said when the air returned to her lungs.

"It's okay, I didn't mean to stumble all over you." Emily said afraid to met the blondes eyes again.

"It's okay..." JJ didn't know what else to say.

"Well, I think I'm gonna go to bed." Emily said.

"Yeah, me too." JJ replied.

Emily looked up and met the blondes eyes again.

"See you tomorrow." Emily said and turned to leave but stopped. Slowly she turned around again.

"I had a really nice time tonight. It was great talking to you..." she just had to say it.

"I had a really nice time too and I also enjoyed talking to you..." JJ said.

She wanted to give Emily a hug goodnight but didn't know if she should but as Emily looked up and met her eyes again she took a step closer and pulled the other woman in for a hug. Emily was surprised by Jennifer's actions but it only took her a split second to hug her back.

"Goodnight Emily..." JJ whispered.

"Goodnight Jennifer..."

JJ had only intended to give Emily a quick hug but for some reason she still had her arms around the other woman. Both women silently realized that they'd hugged for way longer than a 'normal' hug between friends but still they didn't let go of each other.

Jennifer again felt a new wave of emotions running through her and honestly, it scared the hell out of her. She slowly started to pull away and Emily instantly followed her lead and pulled back as well.

"See you tomorrow." JJ repeated Emily's previous words and walked out of the kitchen leaving a very confused and a little flustered Emily behind.

"Yeah... see you tomorrow..." Emily mumbled to herself as her mind tried to figure out just what the hell was happening.

She pulled her hands through her hair and then headed out to the guesthouse in the backyard where she'd be staying.

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/

JJ brushed her teeth before she walked into her and Nathan's room where her fiance was snoring violently. She crawled into bed and gave him a push so he would turn over and hopefully stop snoring but unfortunately the turning didn't help. She sighed and laid back down on her pillow, staring up at the ceiling.

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/

Emily undressed, brushed her teeth and crawled into bed hoping sleep would claim her quickly but she wasn't really surprised when it didn't. There were too many thoughts running through her mind for her to even think about falling asleep. She'd never met anyone that had made such a strong impression on her so fast before. She'd never met anyone like Jennifer before...

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/

Jennifer couldn't sleep. The last time she looked at the digital clock on the nightstand was 5 minutes ago, 4.26 am was flashing back at her. She sighed and shoved her still snoring fiance for the umpteenth time. His snoring wasn't the reason for her insomnia though, Emily was. The brunette FBI agent just wouldn't leave her mind. She thought about the agent thing, she still couldn't get over how impressed she was by it. That wasn't all she thought about though, her mind kept wandering back to when Emily had touched her arm on the swing but mostly to the incident in the kitchen where Emily literally stumbled into JJ's arms. Her breath had caught in her throat and she'd felt all tingly. Then the goodnight hug... She really hadn't planned for it to be so long, it was definitely way longer than a quick hug between friends and definitely longer than a hug between two people who just met. Then there was all these new feelings that confused the hell out of her.