chapter 26

The next couple of hours there was no change. Emily's vitals remained stable but she hadn't woken up yet. Jack had returned with coffee and sandwiches just a short while after Elizabeth and Jennifer had went to Emily's room and the blonde had somewhat reluctantly eaten a sandwich.

Jack had left the hospital a while ago. He was going to book a hotel room and take a shower and get some rest. Elizabeth had decided to stay at the hospital until Emily woke up. She was now sitting in the arm chair and flipping through a magazine while Jennifer was lying with her head on the side of Emily's bed and appeared to be sleeping. Elizabeth looked at the blonde every now and then and debated if she should go over there and wake her up. She was sitting in a very awkward position and she was bound to have a sore back when she woke up but she also realized how exhausted she must be so it was probably worth getting a sore back, at least she got to rest.

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/

Two hours later Jennifer was still sleeping and Elizabeth had gone down to the cafeteria to get some coffee and made a quick call to Jack before she headed back to Emily's floor.

Stepping back inside Emily's room with two cups of coffee in her hands she looked at the clock on the wall, it showed 8.37 PM. She was starting to get a little worried, Emily hadn't woke up yet and she was wondering if that meant that something was wrong. The doctors had their round at 9 PM which was soon so she would just wait till then.

She returned to her chair and put the coffee cups down on the small table by Emily's bed. She was about to reach over the bed and try to wake the sleeping blonde when her eyes landed on Emily's right hand and she saw that Emily's fingers were moving. Averting her eyes to Emily's face she noticed that her daughter's eyebrows were slightly moving and her lips twitched slightly.

"Emily? Can you hear me sweetie?"

Jennifer started to stir when she heard Elizabeth's voice. She sat up and slowly stretched out her back that was fairly stiff after being in a very uncomfortable position for the past few hours. She looked down to the hand that was holding Emily's when she felt a twitch. She stood up and looked at Emily's face and noticed that the injured woman had a slightly troubled expression on her face and that her mouth was twitching too.

"Em-Emily?" she whispered.

Elizabeth turned and looked at Jennifer and then back at her daughter. Was she waking up? Maybe she should call someone but there appeared to be no change in the monitors so she decided to wait a little while longer. They would be there soon anyway and as long as no alarm set off she was certain that Emily was doing okay.

"Je..." a very faint sound left Emily's lips and Elizabeth and Jennifer looked at each other again for a split second as if they were looking for a confirmation that both had heard that faint sound.

"Emily? Can you hear me? We're here sweetie, open your eyes." Elizabeth said softly and stroked her daughter's hair gently.

"Je... fe... J..." Emily's mouth was moving again and it became very clear for both women that she was trying to speak and that had to mean she was waking up.

Tears filled Jennifer's eyes but this time it was tears of relief and happiness.

"We're here Emily... Please come back to us... wake up..." Jennifer said gently and gave Emily's hand a tender squeeze.

"Je.. fer...Jen..." Emily was repeating the same syllables and Elizabeth realized that she was trying to call out Jennifer's name.

She turned and looked at the blonde.

"She's trying to call for you sweetie." Elizabeth said and smiled.

Jennifer met the older woman's gaze.