Ch. 22- On the Train

The GRC was busy at work dismantling what they could of The Flag Smasher’s Empire. Sam was headed back home to Louisiana and Bucky and Eva were on a train to Sokovia going after Zemo. Eva paid for their tickets while Bucky went to get them some food. Settling into their small cabin the events of the day hit Eva hard. She picked at the sandwich Bucky got her trying to find the will to actually eat and failing miserably.

“I thought you were hungry.” Bucky said.

“I am, just trying to wrap my head around today. I felt it Bucky, I knew something bad was going to happen.”

He rubbed small circles into her back in an effort to comfort her.

“I feel like I failed him Bucky.” She cradled her head in her hands and wanted to cry but her emotions were depleted and she was just numb.

“Walker is headed for D.C. now awaiting disciplinary actions as we speak. He’s still technically active military so I’m sure they’re gonna drop the hammer on him.” Eva leaned back in her seat and absorbed Bucky’s words nodding her head.

“You’re right. Walker will pay and best of all I didn’t chase after him and kill him. Yay me.” She said sarcastically. He gave her a look and she already knew what she had said. “Yeah I know. We did things the right way and I am happy about it but you know how I was raised. My brain is constantly going back and forth between the right way and the Hydra way and sometimes it’s a struggle to keep it all straight. You get it right?”

“Yeah I do. Just eat something then we can relax for a bit.”

She ate her sandwich and drank some water and put her rubbish in the bin.

“You mind if I play some music? I have this playlist Nico and I used to listen to all the time.”

“Yeah sure, just skip any music that may make my ears bleed.” She laughed.

“I promise to be gentle on your geriatric ears.”

She opened up her playlist and hit shuffle. The first song to play was an instant gut punch. Rivers and Roads by The Head and the Heart began and she remembered singing the melodies with Nico in a cramped truck with supplies smuggling them over some border. She sang her parts softly with tears falling from her eyes while watching the terrain pass by her window. Bucky watched her cry and listened to her sing. Pain was evident in her voice as it cracked from time to time. He wanted to console her, hold her, tell her everything would be alright but he knew what this was. This was his funeral and she was saying good bye. The next song up on her playlist was The Weepies singing World Spins Madly On. She laughed at her phone as if it were determined to break her heart more, still she sang.

“How are your ears old man?” She asked with a cheeky smile.

“I’m fine as long as you’re singing doll.”

“You should be happy I can’t get drunk anymore… me drunk at karaoke is no bueno.”

Bucky laughed, “Asguardian Ale. That will get you drunk, and I think Valkyrie mentioned a few liquors off world that would work.”

She laughed, “I forgot, The Avengers. You helped fight Thanos before and after the blip.”

“Yeah, that was interesting. I met both a walking, talking tree and a genetically engineered genius raccoon thief.”