Ch. 46 - New Form of Torture

Two Weeks Later  

Bucky and Eva were walking down the street with his arm around her as always. They had just left the record store but Eva had one more stop in mind before they went out to lunch. A few doors down from the record store was a musical instrument store and she gently pulled Bucky towards the direction of the door. He opened the door for her and allowed her to step in first. She walked past the electric guitars and bass lining the walls before she got to the acoustics towards the back.  

“I think I want to start playing again.” Eva said over her shoulder towards Bucky.  

“Well doll, pick one out.” Bucky said in support.  

She went scanning through already knowing exactly what she was looking for and found it high out of her reach. Just then the store associate came to her side. “That one is a beauty huh?” He asked her.  

“Yeah, it is. Can you get it down for me?” She asks.  

“Sure.” He reached up and fetched it easily since he was easily a foot taller than her. “You know this isn’t just any guitar it’s a Mart...”  

“Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe with the classic construction and modern features like the asymmetrical neck for comfort, inlaid pearl on the headstock, and composite carbon fiber bridgeplate that naturally boosts volume.” Eva said and the salesman looked at Bucky as he just stood back smiling smugly.  

“Wow uh, you really know your guitars.”  

“Yeah, I do. I’ll take it. I also want a case, leather strap, a capo, medium picks, tuner, 2 packs of strings, and a Dunlop cleaning kit.”  

The young guy stood there shellshocked, Bucky spoke up. “Well don’t just stand there kid, get the woman what she wants.”  

The guy snapped out of it and started gathering what she asked for. Ten minutes and close to $5k later Eva slung the case over her shoulder and Bucky carried the bag of accessories. Holding hands this time Bucky asked her what she wanted for lunch.  

“Sushi, I want a pile of sushi.”  

Bucky lifted her hand to his lips and kissing it. “As you wish, I know just the place.”   

“God, I love it when you quote The Princess Bride.” Eva said smiling. He led her a few blocks away to a restaurant he hadn’t stepped inside in months but it felt like a lifetime ago. He opened the door and Eva stepped inside and chose the table in the back corner leaning her new guitar against the wall before settling in the chair Bucky pulled out for her. Bucky took the seat across from her when a familiar face came to the table.  

“Wow, Bucky! Long time no see, and who do we have here?” The woman asked him.  

“This is Eva, my fiancée.  Eva this is Leah. This is her family’s restaurant.”   

“Hi, nice to meet you. Putting her hand out to shake the woman’s hand.”  

Leah shook the hand offered to her. “Yeah, you too. I’ll be right back with some menus.” Leah said and began muttering in Japanese as she walked away but Eva caught every word.