Ch. 43 - This is War

Eva and Bucky woke up late that afternoon after crying themselves to sleep to the sounds of their doorbell. They went downstairs and opened the front door finding a large envelope on the stoop with nothing but Eva’s name on it. Bucky grabbed the envelope and closed the door.  

“Doll, it’s for you.” Bucky said handing it to Eva just as the contents started ringing. She ripped apart the orange paper and held the burner flip phone in her hand. She looked at Bucky as she put it on speaker and answered it.  

“Hello?”  

“Hello Eva.”  

“Valentina. To what do I owe the displeasure?”  

“Awww Eva, Is that any way to greet your dear, long-lost Auntie Val?”   

“If only you had stayed lost Valentina. What do you want?”  

“I only wanted to share my condolences, losing a child is HARD.” Eva looked at Bucky with wide eyes.  

“Well now you’ve given them. So how much longer are we doing this fake reunion thing? You and I both know you don’t do sentimentality.”  

“Quick to get to the point as always, it’s a pity when your mother and I created you in a lab we weren’t able to give you a bit more dramatic flair.”  

“Oh, and here I was thinking that bowling with your severed head was pushing it. What do you want Valentina?”  

“Well, I just thought you should know your friend Mr. Wilson and his team were going to have an extended stay with us.” Eva looked at Bucky and his jaw clenched and his hands flexed into fists.  

“If you hurt him or the others Valentina...”  

“Why would I hurt him? I only want him to be the best Captain America he can possibly be! Knowing you, you will be appearing at my door anytime now. I’ll be waiting.”   

The phone hung up and Eva ran down into the basement and put on her arm console from Wakanda. She opened a number of files and got the intel Sam gathered before he was caught. She loaded the information unto the computer and sent it off to S.H.I.E.L.D.  

“Buck... we need to suit up. This ends today.” They went and geared up and Eva opened a portal directly into S.H.I.E.L.D. HQ.   

“Come on Eva.” Bucky said looking back.  

“You go on ahead, I’m going to get us some reinforcements.” Eva said. Bucky just stepped right back through and took Eva’s face in his hands and kissed her as if it was the last kiss, he would ever be able to give her, because after yesterday it very well could be.  

“Eva, seriously be careful. I can’t lose you. I can’t.” He spoke.  

She looked up at her Tin Man, the love of her life and kissed the palm of his hand. “I know, I won’t be long. I promise.” She watched Bucky step back through the portal kept her eyes locked with his as the portal closed. Eva opened another and it brought her directly into the tech division of S.H.I.E.L.D. Eva had been working on a secret project with Mack that nobody else knew about but now was the time to retrieve what she had commissioned. She was more than happy with the resulting LMD. Another Portal took her back to her Brooklyn house. She opened one more Portal and was met with a surprised face of the man sitting on a chair.