Ch. 27 - Date Night

Eve woke up in the early hours of the morning to Bucky thrashing on the bed beside her. “Hey Bucky, Honey wake up.” She took his face in her hands and eyes snap open and he bolts upright. “Hey, hey. You’re okay Bucky it was just a dream.” He grabbed Eva and pulled her close, burying his face in her hair taking deep breaths. “It’s all over now, I’ve got you. I’ve got you.” She held him and stroked his back letting him recover.”Come on, lay down with me.” She pulls him down to where his head is on her chest and she begins to play with his hair. “Do you need to talk about it?”

“Its just more of the same, memories coming back and haunting me.”

“I know, I get it.” She kissed the top of his head. “When I’m feeling horrible and I need clarity or just something to help me get my feelings out I listen to music but I find songs that make me think about it not just something to make me feel better. It’s basically my version of therapy but there’s a song that I think you need to hear now.” Eva reached for her phone and started I’ll Be Good by Jaymes Young.

When the second verse came in Eva sang along. “My past has tasted bitter for years now so I wield an iron fist. Grace is just weakness, or so I’ve been told. I’ve been cold I’ve been merciless. But the blood on my hands scares me to death, Maybe I'm waking up today.”

Bucky just listened and did nothing to stop the tears from falling as he listened to Eva keep singing.

“For all of the light that I shut out. For all of the innocent things that I doubt. For all of the bruises I've caused and the tears. For all of the things that I've done, All these years.”

When the song was over she leaned over and put her phone back on the bedside table.

“Why do you listen to that song Eva?” He asked his voice slightly shaky.

“You know what HYDRA was like. You’re not the only one with innocent blood on your hands. Sometimes I need to be reminded too. Of the things I want for my life, and this world. I don’t want to be what they made me be, I want to be good.”

Bucky dried his eyes and held unto Eva tightly. “Thank you for that.”

She smiled while rubbing his head. “Let’s try to sleep again okay?” She fell asleep holding him and rubbing his head and Bucky was lulled to sleep listening to her steady heartbeat drumming into his aching head.

When Bucky woke up again his mind was clearer and he felt way better than he usually did after the nightmares. He gently slipped out of bed and got dressed. It was just after 7A.M. so he did his usual morning routine of going to the bodega down the street and getting coffee and kinda surprised the guy at the counter when he asked for two instead of his normal order of one. He also ordered a couple of breakfast sandwiches, grabbed some orange juice, and grabbed a newspaper. As he was paying he noticed the florist across the street rolling a cart of fresh flowers out the door. When he returned to the apartment Eva had rolled over and had her back to the door with the sheets all tangled around her naked body. He set everything he had gotten on the bedside table before he slipped off his gloves and jacket. When he kicked off his shoes, he grabbed a single dark red rose out of the bouquet of flowers he bought her and gently crawled back unto the bed. When he settled in behind her he drug the bloom of the flower up her arm, over her shoulder, up her neck and across her cheek when she finally began to stir.