Ch. 31 - Dog Tags

They laid entangled together after Bucky grabbed some fruit for them to snack on from the fridge. Eva ate the blackberries as she was curled up against Bucky but she could tell he was somewhere else.

“Penny for your thoughts?” She asked as he seemed to physically snap back to her.

“I need to go talk to Yori, I need to get this off my chest.”

She reached over and looked at the time on his watch. “Well honey, why sit here thinking about it when you can go do it?”

“I don’t know.”

Eva sat up and turned towards him. “Look, the longer you wait, the harder it is going to be. We both know this. He’s your friend, he’s in pain and the only person in the world who can ease it and help him move on is you.”

“You’re right.” He said getting up and getting dressed.

“Do you need me to come with you? Help explain things?”

“No, I need to do this on my own. For me.” He finished getting getting dressed and Eva stopped him before he left. She got on her tip-toes and wrapped her arms around his neck and held him tight. He pulled her close absorbing her comfort and strength into him.

“I am so proud of you.” She whispered into his ear and kissed him on the cheek. “I’ll be here when you get back okay?” She said releasing him smacking him on his ass making him laugh.

“I love you so much Eva.” He said kissing her one more time.

“I love you too Bucky.” She said smiling up at him and from there he left to do the hardest thing he’s had to do in his life.

While Bucky was gone she called Sam and checked in with him and reassured him that she was okay. He then invited them to a party Sarah was throwing in their honor this weekend which Eva accepted gladly. Her next move was one she had to think on. She was battling a war between her head and her heart but her heart won out.

I’m still mad at you, but I don’t hate you. Just thought you should know.

She didn’t expect an answer so quickly but what else did he have to do in prison?

My lamb, I’m so sorry! How are you? Are you doing okay?

Eva laughed as she could practically feel his stress through the phone.

Zemo, relax! I’m fine. All healed up from the stabbing and I’ve come to terms with the other thing.

Still, you were right. I should have been the one to tell you.

Don’t beat yourself up about it, go back to being incarcerated. Let me know if something new comes up.