Chapter 5 -Five of Wands

Sweat trickles down the back of my neck as I shift my weight from one foot to the next

Sweat trickles down the back of my neck as I shift my weight from one foot to the next. The line I am waiting in is too long and the air-conditioning too weak. Patience is usually a strength of mine, but not after a night of little rest.

I stayed up all night filled with so many questions regarding the wolf that snuck into my life. Anger and pain provide me with dark energy, keeping rest at bay whenever I think of Preston. Then there is the vial of liquid which resonates with magic. The vial which still sits on my table, still untouched.

My world is being flipped upside down.

I take a sick day from work. Thankfully my boss at the university's plant genome mapping lab is incredibly chill. At the end of the day, as long as we make our project deadlines, he is cool with people leaving early or taking personal time.

Though I take the entire day, I have no idea what to do for most of that time, for rest does not come even after the sun rises. There had been a period when I was young that I could only sleep when the sun was out, as though it offered some form of protection. Such a misguided thought. The sun only provides light to better see some of the monsters coming. It does nothing to protect. Whether the monsters come at night or during the day does not matter. It is the response to their presence that matters.

I have no idea how to respond to the monsters.

So, I write a letter to the one person who can possibly offer me any insight into what the hell is going on.

-----

Drew,

I will call you this Wednesday at 5 pm.

x.o.x.o

-----

An entire sheet of paper is used for one sentence, folded, and placed in an envelope, which I now clutch to my chest.

"Next." The lady at the front desk grumbles a few minutes after the customer she had been helping had already left.

The person in front of me is in La-La land. I am shocked that he can't sense the holes my eyes are drilling into the back of his head. He is busy observing all the various packages and packing supplies at the wall to his right.

"They are ready for you," I snap, yanking him back to reality.

He glances over his shoulder at me with a look on his face like I offended him.

Gritting my teeth, I offer him a tight smile. Oblivious asshat.

His eyes linger on me, wasting precious time and keeping me in that hell hole of a post office even longer. Finally, he turns and makes his way to the counter. I barely manage to refrain from releasing an annoyed sigh.

Looking down at the letter, I run my finger over the address. The place that had been my home before I finally was old enough to run the hell away and live on my own. It wasn't that it was actual hell, but it was secluded.