Chapter 8 - Page of Swords

Something is happening

It's Friday. This morning I leave for work to a moving van pulling up to my neighbor's house.

I return home to a large group of people I have never seen before gathering outside. Some are standing, others are sitting, and more are performing some kind of rowdy wrestling while others hold their beers. It is chaotic and not normal for my usually quiet neighbors.

Cars and motorcycles line the road.

I let Luna out to potty and step into the backyard, where I can clearly see over the fence from the top of the few steps. More of them are in their backyard. Music is playing, and my quiet graveyard oasis home is no more.

Where my house is a small two-bedroom shotgun style, the one next door is a three-story victorian beauty. The neighbors have always been a bit odd, but I could care less about that. Everything has been fine because they are quiet and keep to themselves, until now.

While Luna goes about her business, I quietly stare at the house next door, noting the people. They look like they are a part of a biker gang. Half wear regular clothing while the other half are covered in leather jackets and tattoos. The group is made of fit-looking men and some fierce-looking women.

The easy smiles on their faces help to soften their otherwise rough exteriors. It looks like they are a bunch of friends who are enjoying a lovely afternoon by creating enough noise to put their neighbors on edge.

Exhibit A- me. On edge and staring over the fence at the shenanigans next door as though I have nothing better to do. When did I become that nosy neighbor?

The back door to their house slams shut as a figure steps out. "Hey! Turn that down." He yells towards whoever is playing DJ. Voice commanding, authoritative, and recognizable.

Fuck.

"What, are you afraid of waking the dead?" A big guy snickers while also doing exactly what he is told. His shoulder-length blond hair is pulled back in a low ponytail, and his blue eyes are bright enough for me to notice them despite the distance.

Luna turns towards the fence, stepping in their direction.

"psst," I whisper hiss in an attempt to discreetly get Luna's attention. She is done doing her business, and I need her to incognito make her way inside so we can quietly hide. I would prefer to observe whatever the heck is going on over there through a window while standing within the safety of my home.

Honey brown eyes turn, pinning me as if he knows I have been right here the entire time.

My heart drops out of my butthole as I freeze like a deer in headlights.

"The dead aren't our only neighbors," Alaric says to the guy who follows his line of sight till those bright blue eyes land smack on me.

The guy whistles, catching the attention of several around him. They then all glance at what holds his attention, and suddenly I have several eyes on me.