Chapter 26 - The Star

While Drew sets up an obstacle course for training, I go on a walk in the surrounding woods with Alaric. There is something I need him to do... to help me with. Eventually, when I deem us far enough away from others, I stop walking and he stills beside me as I turn to him.

I bite my lip nervously and Alaric's gaze dips to my mouth.

Clearing my throat in an attempt to keep the heat inside my chest from rising further, my focus settles on him. "I was wondering if you would be willing to let me see your wolf."

His lips pull up at the side into a crooked smile. "You want me to shift for you?" He looks strangely boyish in that moment, yet it does nothing to lessen the weight of his presence. The simmering control that clings to him sends my pulse climbing.

"I know it's weird for me to ask..." My voice trails off and I find it hard to hold his gaze any longer.

"It's not weird." His head tilts, viewing me with a twinkle of wonder in his eye. Then something shifts, his tone taking on a serious side. "Are you sure this is what you want?"

I nod.

"I don't want to scare you."

"You don't scare me," I state.

He hesitates. "But shifter wolves do."

I take a breath and try to steal myself of the nerves running down my spine. "I'm trying to face my fears a bit, I guess. Plus, if you ever have to shift because of something going on, then it's probably best if I get a little more used to it."

There's a silence that settles over us as he ponders my request. I feel so awkward that my foot shakes. I can't stand still.

I am about to tell him to just forget it when he says, "Okay."

I take a deep breath. "Okay."

Alaric takes a couple of steps away and his hands grip the hem of his shirt before lifting it up over his head. Muscles ripple with the movement as he tosses it off to the side. His eyes remain locked on mine as his hands go to his belt.

Holy shit.

Of course, he has to take his clothing off, but for some reason, my brain didn't consider it when I asked him to let me see his wolf form.

There is not a single ounce of hesitation as his belt buckle is undone and pulled off before being discarded off to the side. A thick tension fills the air, connecting us. There's nowhere for me to run from the havoc inside of me. It's absurd.

His fingers swiftly unbutton his jeans before pulling the fly down.

Honey eyes continue to watch me.

My cheeks are blazing hot. The feeling runs down my neck and through my entire body.

Tearing my eyes from him, I spin around.

Alaric breathes out a smile and chuckles behind me while I stare at a tree in front of me, trying not to pant.

My pits are sweating and I pray to whatever powerful being may be watching me to have mercy and not let his wolf smell me.

There's a sound of pants falling to the ground and my cheeks burn even more.

Silence follows, void of anything that would give away a shift.

I hear a breath that doesn't quite sound human, followed by something that sounds similar to when Luna shakes out her fur.

Slowly, I turn around.

There is a wolf standing where Alaric had just been, and he is massive. Gray eyes observe me with a cautious curiosity. Light grey fur covers long limbs and a powerful frame. He is terrifyingly gorgeous.