37- out of the loop

Nathan instructed Jack to go back to the bus and told Sylvia everything he knew as quickly as he can.

"Oh. It's a weird situation for sure,"said Sylvia. "I did think it was weird that Mark wasn't admiring any guys lately. I thought he was going through a sexuality crisis again."

"Yeah. It's annoying when that happens, doesn't it?"Nathan joked.

Sylvia narrowed her eyes at him.

"Are you?"she did the limp wrist gesture.

Nathan widened his eyes. "Fuck."

He always saw posts online about people who had accidentally outed themselves with jokes, and thought nah, i'll never do that but he just did.

"Are you?"

He decided that there wouldn't be a better opportunity than this to come out to someone. And Sylvia seemed to be supportive of Mark.

"Yeah. That's how me and Mark initially got close,"said Nathan.

"Did you guys have a thing?"

"Nope. We just talked about boys and stuff together. He mainly talked about Axel, though,"Nathan smiled.

"Oh. I didn't really suspect it to be honest. Mark says my gaydar is shitty though,"said Sylvia. "I also thought Axel was your typical straight guy, but i'm also wrong about that."

"I thought the same about Axel, to be honest. And about Mark until I actually started to hang out with him,"Nathan giggled. "He thinks he's being so subtle when he checks out guys."

Sylvia rolled her eyes. "Every guy thinks they're so subtle. But they are not! The amount of guys i've caught checking me out is..... a lot more than you would think."

"You won't tell anyone?"

"About Mark and Axel? No way. That's their call to make,"said Sylvia.

"No. About me being gay. I was only out to Mark before, and he kept my secret. I kept his,"said Nathan. "Unfortunately his secret might be leaked."

"I don't understand why Axel is so afraid,"said Sylvia.

"Of course you wouldn't,"Nathan said bitterly. "I understand. You can't imagine how it feels to not be able to show affection to your partner in public without someone shooting you a dirty look or yelling a slur at you. If they were straight couple neither of them would be making a big deal out of this."

"I'm sorry,"said Sylvia.

"No. It's fine. It's not your fault that homophobes exist,"Nathan sighed.

He checked his phone. "Oh shit! They're probably going to think we were doing drugs in here!"

Sylvia laughed. "You're right."

**********

Nathan and Sylvia walked back to the bus.

"Why did you guys take so long? I hope you weren't up to anything!"The bus driver said suggestively.

Celia started laughing. "Nathan and Sylvia? Please!"

"Yeah I couldn't see it either,"said Mark.

"Just sit down,"said the bus driver.

"Were you up to something, guys?"Todd said, raising one eyebrow and making kissing noises.

"Shut up!"said Sylvia.

Sylvia went to sit beside Celia and Nathan went to sit beside Mark.

"You and me need to talk,"said Nathan.

"What do you mean?"asked Mark.

"Why do you think I took so long?"Nathan's voice lowered to a whisper,"They know."

Mark's eyes widened. "Were they the ones that saw?"

"No, Jack saw. He didn't want to confront you two directly so he asked me and Sylvia what to do,"Nathan whispered.

Mark facepalmed. "I love him, but god that guy is an idiot."

"I swore them both to secrecy. Sylvia thought I was acting weird so I had to tell her I already knew,"said Nathan.

Mark shrugged. "What harm would it do? The whole school probably knows now. Ugh, why did it have to be him!"

"Sylvia is going to talk about it to you before the game. I just wanted to tell you that to prepare you,"Nathan whispered.

Mark grimaced. "Is she talking to Axel too?"

"I made her swear not to. I hope they listen,"Nathan grumbled. "I'm so sorry, Mark."

"I feel bad that Axel is completely in the dark. Imagine the anxiety he's feeling right now,"Mark looked sad. "I have to tell him, don't I?"

Nathan sighed. "Yeah, you probably should."