42- angry mark

"We've analysed your team. You're a D minus,"said Thomas, Brainwashing High's goalkeeper. "And you have a 100% chance of failing."

"You'll never know until you play us!"Mark said enthusiastically, trying not to be too rattled by their taunts.

"We won't play you,"said Neil, Brainwashings ace striker,"We'll crush you like the insects you are!"

Suddenly Mark felt like he was on fire.

"Take it back."

He sounded extremely angry. Axel, Nathan and Sylvia all gasped. They knew him the best, and even they had never saw this side to Mark.

"What?"

"Take it back!"

"We can't take back the truth,"they teased.

"What you said was unforgivable!"Mark erupted. "Unforgivable!"

The two only laughed.

"You wanna see our killer moves? Then let's play, right now!"

The team all looked at each other.

"I guess this is happening,"Steve said.

"You bet it is,"said Axel. "Let's prove them wrong, by beating them!"

Axel felt nearly as hurt as Mark did by their statement, and that shocked him. This was becoming his team too now. And that felt slightly weird, but in a good way.

***********

Mark explained the rules, while the rest of the team watched.

"I don't think this is necessary,"the two guys from the opposing team said.

"I don't care what you think!"Mark shouted.

Angry Mark. Axel tried to shake off the thought. No. He was trying to be straight. Mark was making it way harder than it needed to be.

"I'm not letting it go!"Mark continued.

"Letting what go?"

"The insult you threw at all of us!"Mark lunged forward and looked up at them. "If I was a violent person, I would kick the shit out of you right now."

"That's my Mark!"Nathan grinned.

Axel swallowed. No. He wasn't feeling jealous. Not at all. He was straight after all. The most hetero guy you would ever meet.

The other team laughed. "Are you guys gay or something?"

Nathan went quiet. Axel tried to ignore the statement. They weren't talking about him. They were talking about Nathan. Obviously.

"Yeah? So what if I am? That doesn't make any difference to this whatsoever!"Mark shouted. "You can't just insult us with no consequences. We're playing now!"

"Ok, we get it. You want to prove your skills,"Thomas said. "Fine. Let's go then."

"Yay! We're going to amaze and humiliate them, right guys?!"

Mark was speaking in his regular happy go lucky tone now. The rest of the team looked annoyed.

Nathan and Axel looked at Mark and smiled.

"Well, I guess that's what we're doing today,"Axel sighed.

Mark grinned. "Guys, don't look so annoyed. Trust me. It'll be fun!"

"I think this might be a really bad idea,"said Steve.

The whole team ignored him.

***********

"FIRE TORNADO!"

"The fuck? That's my move!"Axel yelled.

The rest of the team, including Mark was incredibly confused. He couldn't block the shot, despite using FIREBALL KNUCKLE.

"Fuck,"Mark said quietly as he ran his hands through his hair. "How did he do that?"

"Where did he learn that?"Kevin and Nathan said in unison.

Sylvia looked equally shocked. "Probably from analysing us."

Mark ran up to Axel and handed him the ball.

"I'll take the shot."

"Make it count,"Mark said. "Show them what all of us already know."

Axel smiled. "Ok."