20- distractions

Mark ran to the soccer clubhouse. He couldn't go home. He couldn't talk to anyone. He needed to chill out. But he couldn't. That was the most interesting thing that had ever happened in his boring life.

When he went to the soccer clubhouse, strangely enough, everyone was already there.

"Mark, you're late!"said Sylvia. "Did you forget we had soccer practice today?"

Mark went blank. "What?"

"Just sit down. You look rattled,"said Sylvia.

"You look like you've seen some shit, dude,"said Kevin.

Mark couldn't even reply. He was stunned.

"This isn't like you at all, Mark. Usually you never shut up!"said Steve.

"Oh lay off him! He obviously can't talk because he ran all the way here, because he went home and forgot, duh!"Nathan covered for him.

Mark sighed. He was glad for Nathan's existence at times like these.

"Anyways, what I was saying before Mark got here. We have a guest!"Sylvia smiled.

Celia Hills was standing beside her. How had Mark failed to notice that? He couldn't pay attention because he kept replaying the moment between him and Axel over and over again in his head.

It was like his own personal form of cocaine.

"Isn't it cool, Mark?"Celia's words broke through his thoughts.

"Huh?"

"Were you listening at all? I'm the new manager of the team!"Celia seemed excited. "I'm going to help you gather information on teams you go against in the future!"

"That's interesting!"Mark tried to fake interest.

It was helpful to have Celia on the team, he knew that. But he struggled to think of anything else other than Axel. It consumed him.

******

The rest of the team went to the pitch and watched Kevin practice his new shot. Mark couldn't pay attention at all.

"We're talking at the hill after school,"Nathan whispered.

"What?"

"You haven't talked properly since you got here. The rest of the team is right. You usually never shut up. And now, you look..... I can't even explain it. Something has happened,"Nathan said.

"No,"said Mark.

"Oh shut it. I'll get it out of you. We're friends now, remember?"

Mark half heartedly smiled. "Yeah. Let's meet tonight then."

*******

The next morning, Mark was in goals, and the whole team was helping Kevin perfect his shot. He tried to concentrate, and push the memory of the silver haired boy out of his mind.

Last night at his hang out with Nathan, he just said that a car nearly ran him over and it rattled him a little bit. He just kept insisting that was what happened and eventually Nathan left it alone. He knew he didn't actually believe that though.

Mark saved another failed shot.

"Good! Try again! You're nearly there!"

Kevin gave him a thumbs up.

Mark gasped. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Axel, watching them from the bridge. He tried not to look at him. But it was hard. He just wanted to quit what he was doing, and run up and make out with Axel. And feel fluffy forever.