9: Iwata-senpai is acting weird

.

.

Iwata-senpai is acting weird.

"YUU! YOU'RE GONNA BE LATE FOR YOUR LITTLE DATE!"

"J... JII-CHAN! It's n... nothing like that! Besides, Jii-chan, did you hide my styling spray again?!" The libero slammed the door to the living room open, revealing his hair not yet spiky hair. The spray from his bathroom had gone missing again and he had already ran out of hair cream just yesterday!

He couldn't just meet up with Iwata-senpai- well, and the rest of the team- looking like a kid! Noya's grandpa looked from his newspaper, eyeing his grandchild from head to toe. "You look fine just like that, you brat."

"But Jii-chan! What if Iwata-senpai treats me like a kid if I show up like this?!"

"Idiot! If he likes you, he wouldn't care about how you look as long as you took a bath!"

Noya pouted before reluctantly admitting that his grandpa had a point. He was trying to make his Iwata-senpai like him while Noya drove away his potential love rivals. I guess... I'll go like this? But Iwata-senpai hadn't seen him like this before!

Would he like it?

Would he hate it?!

Geh- stop panicking, Noya! The gods and goddesses are on your side, remember?!

"LET'S GO!"

"That's the spirit, Yuu!"

.

.

The ruby-eyed teen stared down at Noya with unblinking eyes. It was decided that they would meet up at the public library and currently? It was only Noya and Iwata-senpai.

And Noya... couldn't help but sweat in fear. Ever since he arrived, Iwata-senpai had been staring at him with a serious gaze which made him nervous. Maybe he should have thought of an excuse not to come! It had been five minutes yet even when Noya greeted the other, Iwata-senpai remained unresponsive.

Is he going to tell me that he won't teach me anymore?! Am I not allowed to approach him anymore?! Noya was already thinking about the possibilities of his near future. All of it consisted of Iwata-senpai dissolving their master-disciple relationship, their friendship, and Iwata-senpai telling him to never again appear before his sight.

Jii-chan, you were wrong!

But then, before Noya's thoughts could spiral further down the sea filled with negativity, Iwata-senpai jolted back. "S... Senpai-?" Noya, concerned, stepped forward to reach for him but Iwata-senpai suddenly backed away even further.

Hurt flashed through Noya's eyes before it morphed into one of befuddlement.

Iwata-senpai, who had avoided his touch, turned around. He moved stiffly, almost like a robot, and approached a streetlight... before he practically headbutted the poor streetlight. Noya froze in shock while the people around them gave Iwata-senpai strange looks.

When his senpai turned to face him, there was a streak of blood- how hard did he hit himself?!- dripping from his forehead down to his chin, smiling as if there was nothing wrong. "Yo, Noya! Yah 'rived early, ain't ya?"

"..." The libero gaped at his senpai. Instead of worrying about his injury, it was the greeting he was waiting for earlier?! "S... Senpai, your forehead! Your forehead!" Noya rushed to his senpai's side and pulled out a towel from his bag.

Without warning, Noya grabbed the collar of Iwata's shirt and pulled him down rather roughly before pressing the towel on the injury.

Meanwhile, Iwata June was in a daze. Even though he was in a pretty awkward position with his back bent forward and chin raised ever so slightly, the fact that Noya was pretty close to him was slowly being processed in his head.

Shit, June cursed internally, trying to keep his expression calm and as bright as usual. This fella's hella close!

(Koushi, who had wondered where his cousin was going, snickered as he stole a photo of Noya and June from where he was hiding. Looks like June's making his move before kaa-san and I could.)

In fact, there was no such thing as a study group that Koushi told June last night. It was just June trying to make an excuse to spend some alone time with his kouhai.

And, of course, Noya would never know that.

That this little study group is, in fact, a date like his Jii-chan said.

.

.