39: When the future is bright

.

.

"Is the game startin'?"

"Nope. You guys still have a few minutes, June."

"Bloody monsters, it would've been better if they chose Tokyo Metropolitan Gym."

"It's for the memories. Memories. Sheesh you're the one sponsoring the entire thing and now you're complaining?" Koushi raised an eyebrow at his phone, scoffing when June went silent. True to Koushi's words, his cousin sponsored the entire game between Schweiden Adlers and MSBY Black Jackals.

It was only because June insisted the he was the one to do it that Kageyama managed to convince his team and coach.

"You're really something else, you know? You're like one of Nekoma's rich guys."

"Oh, I heard that Russian fella had gone on ahead to be a model or somethin'?"

"That's right! His picture's displayed at Tokyo. You probably saw him there."

"Nah, I was lookin' at Yuu."

"... bastard."

"Then get engaged if yer jealous, Koushi."

"By the way, you and Noya should hurry up. The games about to start and you're needed for the opening ceremony, Mr. Worldwide Handsome."

June practically cringed at that. The nickname came about when he was awarded for winning his first international photography contest back when he was only a first year in university. Ever since then, his portraits circulated the internet, earning him a lot of popularity points. There was even an increase in his social media followers, much to his dismay.

It had him feeling anxious but fortunately, Yuu was there for him.

"Whatev. Yuu's already headin' to the bleachers 'nd I'm headin' for the hosts' table. Don't tease him too much, Koushi."

"Pfft— since when did I ever—" he halted when his cousin gave him a pointed stare which made Koushi close his mouth. "Yeah, okay, I won't."

"See ya later."

The video call ended and Koushi headed back to the bleachers where everyone else were sitting at.

"Are they here yet," Daichi asked as Koushi took a seat on Asahi's other side. "They're going to miss the opening if they don't hurry up." The motherly teacher waved a dismissive hand. "They're already here. Noya's going to show up any second and June's already heading for the announcer's area."

"EVERYONE!" Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Nishinoya Yuu appeared by the stairs and waved at them, the glinting light from the ring on his finger catching everyone's attention. Koushi had been the only one who knew that June had officially proposed to Yuu and so, when the ring became the center of attention, the rest had burst into cheers.

"When's the wedding?!"

"Congrats, Noya-san!"

"You guys just came right on time."

"Why didn't you tell us June proposed to you already?!"

"Who's taking whose family name?!"

Yuu laughed and answered everyone's question. "Mamoru-kaasan and jii-chan are still talking about it. AND CONGRATS TO YOU, TOO, RYU!" The bros for life shared a heavy high-five. "We got held back by the traffic jam on the way. Why would I tell you guys over the phone? It's much better if you see proof personally!"