36: When Yuu J̶u̶n̶e̶ is hooked...

.

.

When Yuu J̶u̶n̶e̶ is hooked...

"June!"

At the back of the group, before Yuu had to enter the court, he had faced June with an eager expression. Combined with his excitement against their match with Nekoma, Yuu was practically bouncing on the soles of his feet. He watched as June glanced down at him with a tilt of his head, an eyebrow arched in curiosity.

"What iz it?"

"When we win, can we do what we did last night again?!"

"..." - insert Karasuno who was still within earshot; some who lost their balance, others choked on air, few had a dumbfounded look, and the rest were confused by what Yuu meant. The reason why Yuu was so ambiguous with his words was because he didn't have the courage to say that kind of kiss in public.

However, unknown to him, because of the vague words he chose, some of his teammates thought of something different. Koushi shot his cousin a glare, almost as if throwing sharp daggers at him. Of course June turned red and pale at the same time, his emotions a mess as he tried to answer Yuu and explain to everyone what the little libero meant.

"Y... Yuu—! Ya can't just— Koushi, wait a sec, don't give me that look—! Daichi, Asahi, it ain't like that! Geh Yoko, the fuck are ya blushing for?!" Suddenly, a spine-tingling stare caused June to freeze. When he looked for the source, he noticed Takeda looking at him with an icy smile.

"Iwata-kun."

"I... It ain't like that, sensei—!"

"Talk. Later."

Wordlessly, June nodded in defeat while Yuu glanced at everyone in confusion. Why were they suddenly acting weird?

.

.

June had stopped playing volleyball in official matches because he didn't like the fame and attention he gained. However, watching Karasuno and Nekoma  made him feel somewhat... melancholic. He remembered every outstanding receive he performed in the past, every set he made that earned his team a point, and the times he helped his teammates with receiving their serves.

The stinging sensation on his forearms seemed to have come back even though he was only watching.

Volleyball... is fun.

He watched Yuu smiling, eyes shining with every spike he stopped, with every feint he saved, and every toss he made for Asahi. June wondered if volleyball was worth it and if he should stand on the court again. The stalker incident had him suffer trauma so whenever he stood on the court in official matches, he couldn't help but feel like he was naked in the eyes of the audience.

It was like everyone could see every bit of Iwata June.

And so, when he was dropped off at the Sugawara's, he stopped playing in official matches. He only played the sport for recreational purposes. But seeing Yuu be so happy, so fulfilled on the court; it made June feel a longing to play again.