31: When June pampers Yuu...

.

.

— Extra —

When Yuu has a nightmare...

The Nishinoya Yuu of today wasn't as brave and as outspoken as he was in the past. And so, when he dreamt of a life without Iwata June, he was thrown out of his slumber in abruptness, leaving him breathless and gasping for air.

Yuu was still a coward. He just wasn't afraid of facing his fears anymore. However, it didn't mean he was unbothered by them; it just meant he was better at hiding what he felt. Even so, his nightmare this time admittedly unsettled him. In his dream, his life wasn't any different before he met a certain someone.

It was the usual working hard towards his goal and chasing after Kiyoko. Nonetheless, when he woke up, trying to catch his breath, he felt like that kind of life wasn't what he wanted now. Being with June was something that made him happier than being ignored by their manager.

Being with June made his heart feel fuller. His heart trembling ever so slightly and so, he picked up his phone and dialed his significant other's number, already mentally apologizing for calling so late at night.

"Yuu? It's late. D'ya need somethin'?"

"I..." Yuu clutched his bedsheet, his chest feeling a little tighter from discomfort as soon as he recalled his dream from just a few seconds ago. "... June, I'm yours, right? It was all real, right?" Please say yes, his tears threatened to come out, a soundless sob escaping him.

"Yuu," there was the sound of fabric shuffling from the other side, the silent creak of the door, and the gentle breeze of the night. "'Course ya are. Did someone say anythin'? Are ya bein' bullied?" Yuu shook his head but then he remembered that June wouldn't be able to see him.

"No, it's not that. I... had a nightmare. That's all!"

"I can hear ya bein' embarrassed 'n' all but ya don't have to be. Havin' nightmares are normal and if ya think it's childish of ya to call for me in the middle of the night, then know that I find it cute that ya'll call me this late. So then, Yuu, would ya like tah talk to me until ya fall asleep?"

With those words, the weight in his heart disappeared and Yuu's expression brightened up significantly. "I would!" But Yuu didn't have to worry, did he? After all, Iwata June was here, alive and breathing and existing. That person willingly stayed by his side, accepted his confession, reciprocated his feelings, and gave him even more than he expected.

Sometimes, Yuu didn't feel like he deserved his senpai's affections but then, he thought that it was okay to be selfish.

It was okay to monopolize him on occasion if it would reassure him that everything was real. They talked and talked and talked until Yuu felt an exhausted yawn leave him. "Yuu, before ya go tah sleep—" the libero tried his best to keep himself awake for just a few more seconds, wanting to hear what June was about to say.