Chapter 3: 8 months are a long time

Since the news of my upcoming participation in the U.A. entrance exam became a reality, Lyra, Mika, and Frejus had designed a complete and exhaustive training schedule which I was to follow strictly.

It wasn't simply about physical training and quirk usage but an extensive focus on my psyche and wisdom.

Aizawa explained that as a prospective U.A student, I wasn't allowed to use my Quirk without authorization from this point onwards. In fact, "kids" were not supposed to use their quirk for fighting or rescue purposes at all, unlike I had done in the past, as part of the Lycans. Therefore, if I were to get busted using my quirk subsequently, it may jeopardize the prospects of me taking the entrance exam.

Lyra was dead serious about this last one. She could have asked Frejus to disable my quirks for the time being, but she chose to trust me about not resorting to them. It was her way of helping me become a wiser individual, I reckon.

One of the drills of my training consisted of taking watches with senior members of the gang. Every day, it was about observing the surroundings, scrutinizing the tiniest nooks and crannies of the city, engaging with the community. With each passing day, the area we covered gradually became broader. "For educational purposes," according to Frejus, who was in charge of the Watch Squad.

I'd always have a day off per week, though. I really did enjoy those because I would let go of all responsibility, and it had such a refreshing effect on my entire self. Just going back to being an average teenager and doing absolutely ordinary things, if only for a day.

It was on one of those ordinary days that, in an ironic twist, something unexpected happened. That particular week, my day off was a warm sunny Wednesday. I intended to spend the day in Musutafu and stroll around the city but would also swing by the gates of U.A. high school, which I hadn't yet seen before.

As I was heading out of HQ, my momentum was interrupted by a questioning voice "You're quite the early bird; where are you en route to, sweet sis'?" I turned around to meet a curious face peering at me. Mika was up because she was in charge of cooking today. I hummed, "Yeah... it's my day off, so I thought I'll head out for the day... that ok?"

Mika didn't dig deeper and simply inquired, "I shall count you out for breakie then!"

I simply nodded while crossing the doorway and putting on my shoes. I didn't bother looking back and eagerly headed towards the subway that was leading to Musutafu station. I felt that Mika must have grumbled something sarcastically around the lines of "Have a nice DAY!" when I left without saying bye. But I couldn't help it. During my hiatus from training, I just wanted to recharge by myself, avoiding any social interaction, very much like any decent introvert.

Ironically, wandering around the city during the week was usually ideal for having no social involvement, as most people were wrapped up in their daily races. Thus, after the bright and early rush hour, the city entered an apparent state of peace.

Walking was my most beloved way of waking. With every step, every gulp of crisp morning air that was cooling my lungs, I felt my mind unravel. I kept reflecting on my personal goals and seized these breaks to refocus on myself.

Later that day, I opted for a short break and grabbed a bite to eat. I stopped next to what seemed to be a school. I activated my telekinesis, which emerged in the form of a wisp of rosewoodish dust around my body, enabling me to float up in the air before smoothly landing on said building's roof-top. I was trying to get a pleasant view to enjoy my mid-afternoon lunch.

As I was munching my veggie onigiri, my eyes shifted their attention to the sudden turmoil outside the building's entrance. Classes had obviously just come to an end, and the students were gradually fanning out across the courtyard. Their apparent aimless roaming was kind of hypnotizing to me.